I love my job when I get cars like this one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my job when I get cars like this one

Customer called one day and said he had a Corvette with a 4L80E transmission with a issue.
    I thought he was mistaken and he had the 4L60. Anyway I was wrong.
    In comes a red 90 ZR1 with Lingenfelter decals on the front.
    After a short discussion with the customer, apparently the car was purchased by Mark Dismore's father. Then later sold to my customer.
    Marks dad had bad knees so he had the factory ZF 6 speed removed for a 4L80E and some Lingenfelter magic.
    This car hauls ass.
    I thought I'd share a few pics.

Braided oil line, supplying lube oil to the rear bushing

A crappy picture but shows a billet extention housing on the trans.

Unfortunately, it looks like at least one header will have to be removed if the trans needs to come out. 4 bolts per exhaust port and not all easy to get to.

I was trying to figure out how to scan the computer to see what was going on. Since the 4L80 is custom fit, the factory PCM wasn't controlling the trans.
    I learned that there was a stand alone computer behind the passenger seat for the transmission.
    Now I had to figure what VIN#'s to enter into my scanner to read trouble codes. So I was able to read the part# on the computer and called the local Chevy dealer and found it to be for a 91 Chevy truck with a 6.2 diesel engine.
    After I was able to configure the scanner, I found a code 39 for no torque converter clutch.

I'll post more pics as we move along on this repair.

Re: I love my job when I get cars like this one

Lucky....

Comment

Neat! makes sense that they used that computer for the trans, too.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

We cruisin this to the Suds this weekend.....................lol

Comment

see THATS how it should look. worn tires,corroded aluminum, and rust. very nice. high five!

Comment

Is this the one that had the stainless steel trim around the tail lights and such? If so, I saw it out here at Comit Cart Sales around the time his dad passed on.

Comment

interesting that they used different header connection methods on each side.

Looks pretty tight in there, nice install, I'm sure that thing hauls the mail with authority.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Very tight in there indeed, but a classy install job.

Comment

do you have much experience tuning the GM bus Diesel computer for the 4L80E or do you like the TCI or the DTS control boxes better?
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I have 0 experience tuning GM computers. This customer brought in another chip for the trans computer but he didn't know what its supposed to change. The chip was made for Mr. Dismore before he died and was never installed. So we may install it if we don't find any internal problems.

Personally I use the TCI controller in my Camaro. Never had any problem except when I had the car on a dyno, it kept wanting to downshift out of 3rd when I nailed the throttle. A simple laptop adjustment would have fixed it. But I didn't have my laptop with me that day.

Comment

Permission for a 4L80E related hijack
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Permission granted :D

Comment

Thank you Sir,

When do you recommend a 4L80E over a TH200-4R or a 4L60E? I am more of a street and open road guy who hits the strips on occassions so I am more concerned about durability and freeway legs than I am about rotating mass and power absorbtion. Also do you favor electrohydrallic over mechanohydrallic transmissions for thier greater flexiblity despite increased complexity?

Thanks,
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Extreme horse power applications with slicks is when I would recommend a 4L80E.
                            Electrohydrallic can sometimes be easier to diagnose problems with the transmission but when you have a bad computer and don't have a way of diagnosing that, sometimes it can be a real pain. Don't want to spend big $ for a computer if it's not going to fix your problem.
                            Personally I think mechanohydrallic is easier to set up. And simple. But if you have time and money, electrohydrallic is the way to go.

Comment

My guess is that you could get away with a stock 4L80E, while you'd have to do some $$$ work to a 200-4R to get it to live. The big one has been around for a long time...since 91....so they're getting pretty reasonably priced, I think. Lots more mass to move around with the big trans though, so I'd take that into consideration when running a small engine, and probably go for the trans that the GN guys use.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X