Paul Newman: Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Newman: Dead

I just heard on the news. Another legend gone, and I've heard that he donated a LOT of money over the past year, seemingly knowing that the end was coming. Also stayed married to Joanne Woodard forever, which in Hollywood is a sign of character.

He was a racer, too, and a good one. Spoke to him for three seconds at Sears Point once.

Adios to a classic American.

Re: Paul Newman: Dead

Suck.

Newman was a heck of a racer. I remember him running IMSA protoypes back in the 1980's and have heard all manner of stories of his other exploits.

The man lived a full life and used his wealth and stature to help others, can't do much better than that.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Tough year. RIP Mr. Newman

Cashing em' in boss

Comment

I think he ran his last trans am race at lime rock , finishing in the top ten driving a corvette
        for years I worked on toyotas in westport , ct , where he lived
        everybody there said he was a good guy

Comment

Multi-time national champ road racer...

Nissan wins it's 50th National SCCA Championship with Paul Newman driving the Bob Sharp Racing prepared 300zx Turbo (Z31) becoming the GT-1 National SCCA Cha...
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

RIP Paul! The man was a class act all the way around,and a car junkie to boot. What an awesome actor and person he was.

Comment

also owned connecticut's own olds/mazda dealer in milford ,ct
              drove a volvo wagon powered by a buick gn turbo powertrain

Comment

The "Coolest" man on the planet is gone - - - R.I.P. Mr. Newman and thanks for letting us go along for the ride - - it was awesome !

Comment

Sometimes nothing is a cool hand...RIP
                  Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

RIP 'Cool Hand Luke'

FYI: Big Willie was in a movie with Mr Newman

Comment

RIP to a man who made a difference to a lot of people...and gave more than he took.

Truly a loss to all of us.

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I read this just a few days ago

Paul Newman takes last laps at Lime Rock

In the world of Hollywood where so many people are vacuous prima donnas, Paul Newman is one of the great exceptions. He is considered one of the greatest American actors and one of the classiest human beings. However, after 83 years, the Newman era is drawing to a close. About 18 months ago, Newman was diagnosed with lung cancer and he's not expected to live past the end of September.

Many fans of his acting are not aware of Newman's nearly four-decade long involvement in motorsports. Over the years he has racked up a second place finish at the 24 hours of Le Mans and a GTS class victory at the 1995 Daytona 24 hours... at the age of 74. For the last 25 years he and Carl Haas have owned one of the most successful IndyCar/ChampCar teams of the era, as well. Off the track and sound stage he has also raised over $200 million for charity through the Newman's Own brand of foods.

On August 13, the Lime Rock Park race track near his Connecticut home shut down for a couple hours so that Newman could take a few final laps in his GT1 Corvette. The world will certainly be a poorer place with his passing. If you haven't watched The Hustler, The Sting, or Butch and Sundance recently, now's probably a good time to put them in your NetFlix queue. Thanks for the tip, Luke!
                        "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

All about Paul,

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/...ead/index.html

Comment

Much, much respect...RIP Paul.

Comment

it must have been hard getting out of that racecar

Comment

Working...
                              X