Mexico or bust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico or bust?

Okay some of you remember that I've had this plan to run to Mexico on a bunch of 550 Honda's... these bikes were built in 76 so they aren't exactly late model's... but they run fairly well and have been a kick in the butt to get running and ready for the trip...

All four are brown... and each is built in a bit of a different style....one's a cafe bike, a bagger, Tourer and the last one is stock... I'll get pictures in the next week for you guys..

The Crew for the trip has sorted out to be Steve Tobler ( Whitemonster), Mark Amerhein( ecta web guy ), Paul Walen (purple cobra) and myself... we've not sorted out how or which bike we're going to ride on each leg or how long we'll be on each.... but we know up front that we are going to be switching regularly...

The plan is to leave southern Alabama on the 8-10 of Nov. and be on the road a week or so.... the trip is 2000 miles as the road goes..... but we're not following the road.... we're taking back roads with no apologys for the time it takes... we're not passing a Blue or Brown historic sign... or stopping at fast food or chain hotels.... this is about finding America... or forgetting what it's become... who knows? we're just having fun...

Keith ( I'm up at Maxton this weekend... just wanted to share where I've been the last Month of so )

Re: Mexico maybe?

You guys are going to have one hell of a good time.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Alton Brown (food network tv guy) did a tour of the country on his motorcycle that sounds similar to your quest. The series was called "Feasting on asphalt". His rules were: no interstates unless absolutely necessary, no fast food or chain restaurants. Some of scenery was great, and lots of the little mom and pop restaurants and diners looked great.
      Since watching that series, I've wanted to do a road trip hitting diners and restaurants, like he did.

I envy you and your quest.

P.S.: He crashed on a gravel road, dodging a rabbit. Be careful.

Comment

Keith, I truly admire your intentions.

Comment

Right now I'm deeply involved in the mechanical aspects of the trip...

These scooters haven't been run since 83 in one case and the others have been abused on a massive scale...

Bottom line they sort out like this...

#1 my first 550 with the little black fairing... Basani pipes and just a thing of Fun and beauty... ( or not ) 500 bucks from Dan Stokes

#2 I bought on ebay for $181.30, Brad Johnson brought it to me at Maxton... Nice bike just a true Indiana barn find...

#3 Ebay'd for $235 up in Huntsville Alabama.... 4-1 pipe... missing lots of parts... but it was Cheap... and hmmm well damn it runs too... hmmm

#4 parts bike from Delaware ( Joe Timney brought it to Maxton )... well Geez.... even it runs .... Hmmmm not bad for 275...

After that they just keep getting work and more and more work... ultimately yesterday Morning I rode them all in a 1-4 sequence.. and since they are 4 bangers... I actually had 15.5 happy cylinders.... ( #4 has a fouled plug sometimes )... fun stuff...

K

Comment

Need a support vehicle to follow? sounds like fun
            Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Wow - another group of guys I'll have to live vicariously through on this board.

another epic journey - freaking sweet.

I need to figure out a way to retire early so I can do this kind of stuff..... there just aint enough vacation time in the world - we need to adopt Europes vacation schedule over here!

Ride safely! Take lots of pictures!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That sure does sound like fun! You guys suck!

Comment

For those that like this kind of deal and can read more than 6 pages at a time, check out the book Blue Highways.

Comment

William Least Heat Moon

A classic. Good call dude!

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If you had one more bike and I had one less wife, I'd be there with you guys.

Someday...
                      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by AllenK
                        That sure does sound like fun! You guys suck!
                        X's 2

Comment

In case you haven't noticed.... one of the significant points of this program is the bucks down aspect...

I'm just tired of everything costing a bazillion dollars.. Since I get to pick what I call fun... this is it... and it's BUCKS down... less then 1k per bike and ultimately they are going to be fairly reliable or not.... and that's the fun...

Hopefully we'll have more zen then motorcycle maintenence but who knows... I'm simply out to prove it's not about what you make.... but how you spend it...

K

Comment

and you can double up if needed for the ride home if you have to abandon a bike

Sounds like a fun adventure! did I ever tell you the story about my mom's late second husband's bicycle ride down to Mexico City (from Michigan) after he got out of the Air Corps after the war?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

did I ever tell you the story about my mom's late second husband's bicycle ride down to Mexico City (from Michigan) after he got out of the Air Corps after the war?

[/quote] A bicycle?! Do tell....

Comment

Working...
                              X