Car Craft Magazine April 2009 pages 4, 68, 69.....CANDY WAGON DODGE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Craft Magazine April 2009 pages 4, 68, 69.....CANDY WAGON DODGE

i didn't want to hijack the other thread about the mustang, so i started this one. that wagon is mine. i posted some pics of it last year in the project cars section, and the pics in the magazine are the finished product. we had a blast!! it's crazy what some people will do for some fame and glory!!! the mustang was wild to watch. there was like a 40 mph cross wind! we didn't go there to win, but thought maybe there was a chance of a small pic of my car showing up somewhere. mission accomplished i guess!! everyone should go to byron at least once to watch the show. it's super fun!

Re: Car Craft Magazine April 2009 pages 4, 68, 69.....CANDY WAGON DODGE

Just got my issue and dug into it....

That wagon of yours is just SWEET, man!

The fact that you had that monster in the air is astounding.....

Comment

I was there the first weekend when it got rained out. I snapped some photos of your car and was going to post them on here, but computer crashed and lost them. Your car looks good in the pics, but seeing it in person it is beautiful. Can't believe you had it at byron, you got some balls man. At least you are driving it and don't have it stashed in some hermetically sealed garage. Very nice car.

Comment

Great photo spread Tony.....love
        the flames shootin out
        from the exhaust
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

X2

nice oil pan!!

Question for you? When the rear tires come off the ground, did you have some warning or inkling what the car/motor was going to do? I ask because in the wheel stand videos every car seams to do some thing different? None of it looks predictable.

Steve

Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

this thread is worthless without pic's

Comment

Not a great pic but gives you an idea of Tony's pull

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

thanks for the kind words. as for knowing how the car/engine would react... i had the rev limiter set fairly low to be safe when all four wheels were off the ground. and i had done wheelstands like this a half dozen times before and sort of knew how it would react. i went to rock falls raceway in eau claire wi. on the sat. before byron to make a few test runs. everything went well. but when i was in byron for the contest, on sat. i thought that i should try it and see how good the track was etc. so.... i went to the line with just the zip code we were in being the only change from rock falls. i let go of the tranny brake button and the car went towards the sky faster and higher than it EVER had before!!!! while on the rear bumper, it spun a little to the right and i aborted mission! the landing was hard! the oil pan was "clearanced" a little more and the motor plate got bent a little! we fixed the motor plate and decided that it was apparent that the car did not need very much "ballast", so we removed some and waited for sunday's contest. i would like to take the time now and suggest that the crew at byron should give lessons or a seminar to most all other tracks as to how to properly prep a track. the bite was un real!!! i guess that i'm lucky in the respect that my car is really too heavy and low on power to get into too much trouble like the heavy hitters in the contest that can carry the wheels out a few hundred feet.( i only went 75- 100 feet so so)

Comment

let's try this pic of the book...

Comment

I just seen that spread a couple of days ago.

Very nice. Looks like you do nice work, as I can
                    see the whole underside of the car. ;D

Comment

I'm lucky to live about an hour from Byron. They don't call it the House Of Hook for nothing. Ron Leek, the owner-promoter-announcer, is a truly decent human being. During my one season of attempted racing, he refunded our entry fee twice after we broke everything but the trailer.
                      He also owns a trucking company, his drivers all seem to like him as well.
                      And that is one wild wagon.

Comment

Look at he face of the young man under the drivers front tire. Anothe car freak is born. ;D
                        OH YEAH
                        Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Working...
                        X