No announcement yet.

Oops!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got her in the garage last night.

I removed the rusty battery tray and the leaky radiator. Will be ordering replacements today.

I also ordered all new parts for the front suspension/steering and shoes, hardware kits, wheel cylinders, and adjusters for the drum brakes. I still need to order the steering box rebuild kits and rear hard brake lines.

Should be an interesting few weeks as I get her torn apart and built back up.

The plan is to do it on the cheap and get it on the road for now. I will do blocks and shackles in the rear and cut the front springs to lower it. Planning to do a 4/5 drop to start. I don't know a ton about these trucks so I don't want to go too low to start out and have to C notch it right away.

Comment

I ordered two different replacement radiators from Oreilly Auto that didn't fit and were promptly returned.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...yword=radiator

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...yword=radiator

I was really bummed that the first one didn't fit as it was very good quality and had a brass tank and copper/brass core.

The second one had plastic tanks and the core was much thinner, but it didn't fit either.

The radiator I ended up with was this one from Advance Auto. It also has plastic tanks, but for the money, even if it only lasts 5 years I'm ok with it.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/r...161/19920640-P

Happily, this one fit with only minor modification to the fan shroud. Another trip to the parts store for coolant and I'll be all set.

The old externally regulated alternator was tired, so rather than replace the old 61 amp model, I rewired the front harness to work with an internally regulated alternator and bought a new (reman) 78amp. Still waiting on an alternator belt from RockAuto, then I can get the alternator in and front harness plugged in and see if my wiring skills pan out.

I rebuilt the front passenger side front drum yesterday too. I replaced the wheel cylinder and flex hose while I was at it. I'm glad I took a photo of it before I took it all apart as the driver side was missing some components (probably another reason it was stopping so poorly). Every time I work I drum brakes I am amazed at how much engineering went in to designing such a shi*ty system and understand why disc brakes are the norm now. I will be saving money for a disc brake swap in the near future.

I borrowed a buddies power washer in hopes it would take the orange spray paint off the truck. I'm hoping I can do it without the use of chemicals, but if need be I have some aircraft grade stripper that will come in handy. Hopefully more progress to come tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewoods View Post
        I borrowed a buddies power washer in hopes it would take the orange spray paint off the truck. I'm hoping I can do it without the use of chemicals, but if need be I have some aircraft grade stripper that will come in handy.
        That might make for some very interesting "patina".

Comment

Thats what I thought too. The truck is a really cool blue color where the rattle can didn't reach. I am hoping to preserve it if I can.

Comment

Working...
          X