99 Tahoe Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 Tahoe Daily Driver

I dumped some money into my 99 Tahoe daily driver over the past week because I decided that stock sucks for daily drivers as well. I put a 2" block in the back, cranked the torsion bars about 1.5" and slapped some 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2s on it. I also put in some clear headlights (no blue bulbs though...it's not a Honda).

I'm pleased with the altitude adjustment (I now look straight across at stock height Super Duty trucks) and the ride isn't too harsh. I need to get some slightly longer shocks in the rear (Bilstein 5100s, probably) and I need an alignment.

I've made some subtle upgrades in the couple of years that I've owned it.

I bought and rebuilt a 14 bolt SF rear (9.5") with Yukon gears and an Eaton TrueTrac

I've also since replaced that crusty rear bumper.

When I installed the 14 bolt, I also put on a Gibson cat-back. It's pretty mellow, but got decent tone. I'd probably go a little louder if I had it to do over again.

I bought a relay kit from Mr. Taillight to keep my low beams on with the high beams

I found out that a 99-05 GMT800 145 amp alternator will bolt right in place of a stock 105 amp alternator on a GMT400, so I picked one up at the local parts store and chucked it in. I had to get a slightly longer belt, so I bought the belt for a GMT400 with a 145 amp alternator. I did have to space up my coolant bypass tube, but everything else was plug and play. No more voltage drop with headlights, radio and wipers on while running my cell phone charger, GPS and mini fridge.

The truck left the factory with a cassette player in the head unit and remote CD player below. Just Chevy Trucks was able to supply me with a factory CD player head unit and the little cubby that goes below. Perfect Blackberry and Oakley holder.

I tossed out the side moldings. They were in good shape, but I didn't care for how they looked. There was a nice strip of mud pinned underneath them, too. I took off the remaining adhesive with a rubber eraser wheel on a drill.

I bought a reel light from an older GMT400 on eBay and mounted it on the PCM bracket. It's got enough wire to go all the way around the truck and I wired it so it will work without the key on.

This 120mph 99 Escalade cluster was straight plug and play. I swapped my odometer over and later went back to my factory orange needles.

I was able to get aluminum Z71 pickup skid plates from Just Chevy Trucks. I had a custom bumper sticker made for the front radiator plate and then clear coated over it with some Duplicolor clear coat.

I think that's pretty much everything I've done to the truck that you can see. I also put in a Corvette 1-2 servo and had a custom PCM tune done by Justin at Black Bear Performance.

Re: 99 Tahoe Daily Driver

How do you like your Black Bear tune? Did you do the cable type custom tune or just tell him what you wanted done? What results did you get from it?
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

X2....tell us more about the tune/etc....
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I just did the mail order tune. The scan cables were backlogged for quite some time.

I had an 89 octane tune done with 80% torque management reduction on all upshifts. It's definitely got more punch. A lot of people report better fuel mileage, but mine stayed about the same. I get 14 city and 17 highway, give or take. Between the torque management reduction and the Vette servo, the 1-2 upshift is HARD at WOT. Sometimes the seat belts lock. It's still smooth under part throttle though.

I'm about to have it retuned to account for the larger tires I just put on.

I would highly recommend the Black Bear tune.

Comment

what was the turn around time for the tune??

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBALLMONZA
            what was the turn around time for the tune??
            ...and forgive my ignorance, did you have to send your ecu to them?...or is it just the piggy back chip?
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

You can mail in your PCM, or for $40 extra, Justin will get one from a junkyard, tune it and mail it to you. That's what I did. Turnaround time was very short. I can't recall how long, but I want to say less than a week.

The one thing about getting a junkyard PCM was that I had to do a security relearn before it would start and then I had to do a crank relearn. I was able to do a crank relearn at my buddy's shop with an OTC Genisys. The truck still runs fine without the relearn, but you'll have a check engine light. I probably drove it for six months before I ever did the crank relearn and I never had an issue.

You'll need an OTC Genisys or a Tech 2 to do the crank relearn. The security relearn is done by trying to the start the truck, leaving the key in the on position for 15 minutes and then repeating two more times.

Comment

Working...
              X