No announcement yet.

Starting a Car than has not run in a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The valves stick after you run the engine with the bad gas for just a little while. The varnish forms on the intake valve stems.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That's what happened with the truck engine I got.

So step one, remove gas cap and smell the tank. If it has that varnish-y smell, flush the fuel system.

Comment

First before trying to start the engine have either a charged fire bottle or something to put over the engine just in case it back fires.

True story a friend I know took on a project of restoring an old famous custom car that was on the front page of many magazines back in the 60's.

He spend the past three years getting the body and paint back to perfect condition and then the owner came to pick the car up with an enclosed trailer because the car had never been registered to drive on the street for the past 25 years.

In it day this car was only used for World of Wheels car shows.

Long story short the owner took it home and put it in his garage under his home. This car had a supercharged engine with 2 big carburetors.

He tried to start the car and when it would not start he poured some gasoline into the engine and I back fired and not only did the car catch fire and burn but his home also burned to the point it had to be taken down.

Jimbo

Comment

Something to put over the engine, might include something as simple as the air cleaner. That's a trick I learned long ago, working in the junkyard, we were required to put the air cleaner on before trying to start any engine. To keep from burning the place down.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

a few hail marys for the short time frame, a full novena for the one sitting for years.

Comment

I had a 65 Mustang with a 289 that I bought as a parts car.It had sat 17 years, I simply connected a gas can to the fuel pump, clean the points, (no spark) and fired that sucker right up. No tappet noise or excessive smoke.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

That's pretty typical
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                X