• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a steering wheel

Click image for larger version

Name:	E.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1255102I need help guy's. I started on this wheel out of a 68 C 10 Chevy truck. I cut it down from 16" to 14". Welded it all back up and have come to a stand still. I need to figure out how to make the handle in the spots where I had to cut it out to weld it.
    Can anyone give directions on what to do for these area's. I'm thinking some kind of plaster mold on the good area and transferring it to the cutouts and fill with resign. But I'm just not sure on what to do. Any idea's suggestions. I can get the area filled with putty but I want the finger grips in it. That is my problem.
    Retirement is better than I thought!

I almost finished the camaro SS wheel for the 67, used the 3M flexible panel repair, must have put 200.00 into it. Got it decent looking, put the interior in and it was on our thighs. The choice was a little rally wheel or tilt column but after all that money went into it we just got a 25.00 vintage wheel. They have a couple foams now that might be quicker and cheaper, problem being they are all in these two tube kits where you need to buy their 60.00 caulk gun to squeeze them out right.

Comment

looks difficult. Epoxy works for filling in cracks, but for making whole new sections, it would be difficult to mold or carve it to the correct shape.

A unique and proven process for steering wheel restoration. Pricing information

will tell you what it's worth to do this work, in case you hadn't seen it before.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

See banjo steering wheel build in link below.....

[ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
          See banjo steering wheel build in link below.....

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/.../#post-3717028
          Now that guy knows what he is doing!

I bought some PC-7 today and going to try it. Will see how it does on the smaller section that needs a fix to test.

PC-7 EPOXY PASTE
          • Heavy Duty Non-Drip Past
          • Bonds most everything to anything
          • Money-Back Guarantee
          • e

AUTO-Seal - Gas tank, radiator and oil pan leaks. Bond: rear-view mirror brackets and mouldings. Fill: Holes, cracks and dents (metal or fiberglass). Rebuild: Steering wheels, etc.

CONTRACTOR - Bond: Re-bar, firring strips, anchors, brackets, plates, studs, thresholds to masonry. Patch holes and cracks. Repair cemetery headstones. Attach junction, switch, and fuse boxes and baseboard heating panels to wall.

HOME AND RANCH - Seal: Plumbing, fuel tanks, cellar cracks, and swimming pool leaks, etc. Repair: Equipment, machinery, furniture, and tools. Bond loose tile, ceramic fixtures, and flagstone.

RECREATION - Repair boats, R.V.'s, sporting goods and toys.

SHELF LIFE - Well in excess of two years.

Last edited by Andy4639; November 4, 2019, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Hey Andy, I just stumbled across a couple vids on steering wheels, haven't watched them, so don't be too harsh on me if they're shyte, but have a look

Part 1
            In this video, Milo shows how you can make a silicone mold of a steering wheel to create an aftermarket part. Using a silicone mold allows you to make a uni...

Part 2
            Milo shows how he casts a Crystal Clear urethane resin steering wheel in this tutorial video. The metal insert is sandblasted and inserted into the silicone...

Comment

Are you going to leather wrap it??
              If so. silicone mold making 2 part material might be the ticket to form the wheel first before wrapping, it be soft and feel nice. but not so soft that the metal would come through it.

Comment

3M is coming out with some foams now, two part, interesting stuff. Probably be the fastest. I used that flexible 3M that they sell for bumper covers, cant go on too heavy so it was alot of coats, but if you are wrapping, its probably worth trying.

Comment

One day I will get back to this wheel. It's been put on the back shelf for now. I did finish another 2 spoke though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	78613150_10206625597716687_9124380672838860800_o.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1257956
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X