How to take a body off of a C4 Corvette frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to take a body off of a C4 Corvette frame

We're have a scheme here that involves needing the frame from a C4 Corvette. I understand that the fiberglass is bonded to the frame at A and B pillars and at the rocker panels.

Anyone every find a good way to take the ENTIRE body off of a C4 frame? Is the entire frame steel, or is some of it aluminum?

Re: How to take a body off of a C4 Corvette frame

we had wrecked one in the body shop back in 86 -the whole thing is coated in abs plastic - you have to break the pieces off -just to straighten the frame -there was broken plastic everywhere

Comment

The key question is ... does the body need to be reusable when you're done? ;)

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        We're have a scheme here that involves needing the frame from a C4 Corvette. I understand that the fiberglass is bonded to the frame at A and B pillars and at the rocker panels.

Anyone every find a good way to take the ENTIRE body off of a C4 frame? Is the entire frame steel, or is some of it aluminum?

teease..
        spill it.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Oh man, a C4 in hot rod... this doesnt happen often enough.

Comment

C5 has a better frame , but far better retail too

Comment

Sawzall.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
                Oh man, a C4 in hot rod... this doesnt happen often enough.
                d/f prob. want is for an off road toy..
                or a dune buggy

Comment

everything is glued to everything .inital thought if body is not being used .cut down as far as you can then use heat(FIRE FIRE FIRE) to soften-get gooey what is left pry grind scrape etc and lots of beer

Comment

C1 C2 C3
                    all have frames like big rigs

Comment

My curiousity is piqued... ???
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I've had one stripped down as far as you can go without an air chisel and a sawzall.

The good news... the majority unbolts. Including the rocker panels and fender extensions (below the perimeter side trim).

The bad news... it's a steel/fiberglass unibody. If I remember correctly, the entire "trunk" tub, rear body "surround" (rear roof, upper rear fenders, hatch window gasket flange, fuel door area), most of the firewall, floors, & tunnel & the entire door jamb all BOND directly to the unibody frame (as does the windshield).

However, I believe you could remove every piece of the bonded fiberglass and the remaining steel unibody would still be structurally sound.
                        D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

This may help ;D

C4 General Discussion - unibody or body on frame - hey all. i'm new to the Corvette world recently purchasing a 1988 convertible. i was wondering though if it rides on a unibody construction or body on frame. i have a book that says the 84 thru 86 models were unibodies and the 87 and up models were changed to body on...

Comment

get a g-body chassis, junk that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger

I bet this has something to do with making your own speed buggy ( the 2 engine roll cage, street legal). Very curious to see where this goes.
                              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Working...
                              X