Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I put a 5-speed in a 65-66 Mustang?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I put a 5-speed in a 65-66 Mustang?

A customer has a 289 4-speed one of these cars and wants to know the absolute easiest/cheapest way to do this. What trans? Is there one that'll bolt to the existing bellhousing and clutch that's in there now, etc?

Re: How do I put a 5-speed in a 65-66 Mustang

look at this for a start
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Re: How do I put a 5-speed in a 65-66 Mustang

I don't see anything
      Originally posted by fabricatordave
      look at this for a start

Comment

Re: How do I put a 5-speed in a 65-66 Mustang?

my bad look at it again

Comment

Thanks. Looks pretty basic. My new customer was quoted $5000 for the swap. Looks like about $2000 (with good used T-5?) might do it? Anyone else?
          Originally posted by fabricatordave
          my bad look at it again

Comment

Here's another good link on it. I don't know where the price of $5k came from. Doesn't seem too hard if the car already had the factory 4-speed.

Comment

The impossibility is in the catch-phrase, "Good, used T5." There are millions of used T5s out there. Only a very select few were ever suitable for use behind a performance V8. Even fewer of those are still working well enough to be worth installing in a customer's car. Think of how most Cobra Mustangs are driven and by whom! Been there, done that, never again. If I put in a T5 for a customer, it is new-out-of-the-box.

Also, is the earlyStang still running the 289"? There were two bell housing and transmission bolt patterns. The first several hundred thousand used a 5-bolt bell housing and the narrow transmission bolt pattern. From '65.5-on, Ford went to the 6-bolt bell housing and a wider transmission bolt pattern. IIRC, McLeod now makes a Ford-universal bell housing which will bolt up a T5. This is the way to go.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

Hey Groucho
                Have you checked this site out?
                Might be an option for you and your customer.

Comment

With the original MECHANICAL clutch setup? I'm new at T-5's. So, forgetting for now the new/used issue. What specific T-5 will I be looking for?
                  Originally posted by PackardV8
                  The impossibility is in the catch-phrase, "Good, used T5." IIRC, McLeod now makes a Ford-universal bell housing which will bolt up a T5. This is the way to go.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

Good stuff, but I think it can be done much cheaper with T-5, modifying my driveshaft, and an aftermarket x-member, etc from what I've learned since just yesterday
                    Originally posted by Monk
                    Hey Groucho
                    Have you checked this site out?
                    Might be an option for you and your customer.

Comment

Groucho, I prefer the mid 93 up gt mustang box, here is some more info for you , from www.moderndriveline.com

Manual Transmission Equipped Cars

When the car is equipped with a 3 or 4 speed manual transmission, the job is a lot easier than converting from an automatic. There are two ways to install a T-5 transmission for a stick equipped car.

One way is to use the original bell housing and install an adapter plate. This will allow the clutch and clutch linkage to be used. An adapter plate is needed for two reasons. The bolt pattern is different then the four-speed transmission and makes up the depth needed for the longer T-5 input shaft. Make sure to purchase correct adapter plate depending whether you have a five bolt bell housing or six bolt bell housing. 260 and early 289 are five bolt while later 289-351 are six bolt.
                      The second way is to use a T-5 bell housing mentioned in the auto-equipped cars. This will eliminate need for an adapter plate. However, the throw out lever needs a fulcrum adapter kit to offset the ¾” deeper T-5 bell housing with mechanical linkage. Using the T-5 or Tremec bell housing allows the option of installing a cable conversion kit.

We highly recommend one of our clutch cable kits as they provide greater header clearance and operate as smooth as a hydraulic kit at a reduced cost and are much smoother than the stock linkage. It also solves the problem of the Z-bar bending and popping out of it's pivot point under heavy loads. When using a cable conversion, a T-5/Tremec clutch lever, throw out bearing, block plate and clutch lever cover will be needed in addition to the T-5/Tremec bell housing. The cable kit comes with a firewall support bracket to minimize firewall flex and provides a positive stop for the cable housing. The support plate is equipped with a tool free cable adjustment. The support plate can be used with a manual or power booster.

NOTE: With either a clutch cable kit or hydraulic kit, make sure the pressure plate is setup for it. Stock clutches are made to operate with the mechanical linkage which moves the throw out bearing much further. When a stock clutch is used with either system, the clutch will not fully disengage. Contact us for the right clutch kit to ensure success of your project.

Manual equipped cars have much longer speedometer cables. The manual cable will have to be replaced with an automatic cable. The manual speedometer cable is routed to go to the passenger side and enter the transmission from the right side, while a T5/Tremec enters on the left side. Install the automatic cable through the hole in the lower firewall near the e-brake cable and plug the other hole with a body plug.

Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

This one's already a stick car. So, are all the T-5's ar a bit longer in the input shaft? Is there a T-5 for Ford and GM like the BW T-10's? Thanks
                        Originally posted by ls7gto
                        Groucho, I prefer the mid 93 up gt mustang box, here is some more info for you , from www.moderndriveline.com

Manual Transmission Equipped Cars

When the car is equipped with a 3 or 4 speed manual transmission, the job is a lot easier than converting from an automatic. There are two ways to install a T-5 transmission for a stick equipped car.

One way is to use the original bell housing and install an adapter plate. This will allow the clutch and clutch linkage to be used. An adapter plate is needed for two reasons. The bolt pattern is different then the four-speed transmission and makes up the depth needed for the longer T-5 input shaft. Make sure to purchase correct adapter plate depending whether you have a five bolt bell housing or six bolt bell housing. 260 and early 289 are five bolt while later 289-351 are six bolt.
                        The second way is to use a T-5 bell housing mentioned in the auto-equipped cars. This will eliminate need for an adapter plate. However, the throw out lever needs a fulcrum adapter kit to offset the ¾” deeper T-5 bell housing with mechanical linkage. Using the T-5 or Tremec bell housing allows the option of installing a cable conversion kit.

We highly recommend one of our clutch cable kits as they provide greater header clearance and operate as smooth as a hydraulic kit at a reduced cost and are much smoother than the stock linkage. It also solves the problem of the Z-bar bending and popping out of it's pivot point under heavy loads. When using a cable conversion, a T-5/Tremec clutch lever, throw out bearing, block plate and clutch lever cover will be needed in addition to the T-5/Tremec bell housing. The cable kit comes with a firewall support bracket to minimize firewall flex and provides a positive stop for the cable housing. The support plate is equipped with a tool free cable adjustment. The support plate can be used with a manual or power booster.

NOTE: With either a clutch cable kit or hydraulic kit, make sure the pressure plate is setup for it. Stock clutches are made to operate with the mechanical linkage which moves the throw out bearing much further. When a stock clutch is used with either system, the clutch will not fully disengage. Contact us for the right clutch kit to ensure success of your project.

Manual equipped cars have much longer speedometer cables. The manual cable will have to be replaced with an automatic cable. The manual speedometer cable is routed to go to the passenger side and enter the transmission from the right side, while a T5/Tremec enters on the left side. Install the automatic cable through the hole in the lower firewall near the e-brake cable and plug the other hole with a body plug.

Comment

The GM input is shorter. I would look at a mcleod bell, I think Red sells on that gets rid of the need for an adapter and it makes a bolt in deal.
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.
                          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                          X