Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suffix Code

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
    The 416 casting heads were used on 80-86 305's. LG4's, L69's(305HO), and LB9's(TPI). They should have perimeter bolt valve covers and the old style pre-86 intake bolt pattern with all the intake bolts at the same angle. They're a decent budget 305 head.

K-McKinnon engine assembly plant
    02-assembly month
    06-assembly day
    B41-application(I don't know which this is)

The partial VIN is confusing because GM changed the system in the 80's. 262230 should be the sequence number for the car it went into. Depending what year it is the G could denote it's a base 305 4bbl (LG4) or the Farmington MA assembly plant.

Plus, who knows if the heads are original to that block. Pull a head and see what pistons are in it. LG4's had dished pistons, L69's and LB9's had flat tops with 4 valve reliefs.

If you really want to know you'll need to find the casting dates on the block and heads.
    if it was a carb'd engine it was the gbody wagon..
    the fullsized got the 307 in pontiac..
    or the 2+2 only one with flat tops would be the 2 +2 engine..

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      I thought the partial VIN was still Division, Year, Plant, Serial

I could be wrong

So did I. 2G2 should be a '86 Pontiac built in Ontario. The B41 at the end confuses me too- I thought they all had an alpha suffix.

LG4's are all the same whether they went in F,G,or C bodies, and were carbed through '87. I was almost sure that the 2+2's were all LG4 motors and that none of them got L69's like the Monte SS did.

Comment

PONTIAC 2+2 is 180hp (I have the dealer folder on it,wanted one bad)
        don't thing the lg4 is 180..
        but lit. has been known to have type"O"s

Comment

I found the casting number: 14094766...305...86-up...2...One-piece rear seal
          It had a quadrajet on it. Still curious about the application. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

It also has 5.0G stamped on the other side of the casting number.

Comment

None of that is surprising....

Did you find the casting date code on the back of the block, in the vicinity of the casting number? should look like B 2 86 or B 2 6

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
              X