No announcement yet.

Shorty Header Plugs other then Accels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorty Header Plugs other then Accels?

For the heck of it tonight, I looked up some shorty header plugs for my car. The only thing that came up in work were Accel Plugs{which I have in the car already}but they went up to almost $30 bucks for just 8 plugs.

Does anyone know if NGK or hell even AC Delco's offer a header plug for a SBC 350?

I know years ago with the old motor I remember pulling out a AC Delco R-something header plug that was in the number 6 cylinder of the 383, but can't remember the number.
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Re: Shorty Header Plugs other then Accels?

they are really that close ? or do you have straight boots where you should have 90 degree

Comment

Do you use a gasket seat plug 13/16?
      I have the same problem.I think those "Shorty Plugs" are just small engine plugs
      from NGK repackaged as ACCEL's .The E3 small engine plugs are similar and
      I bet you really have more room there than you think, try to use a Autolite 85
      these are shorter than the Delco r43 but make sure you get 8 good ones. I
      have found the center porcelin "bent" and not in line the electrode.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        they are really that close ? or do you have straight boots where you should have 90 degree
        Have 90 degree boot ends, but the issues are the headers. I had the same problem with the old headers, always been the number 6. Can't put a full-sized plug and then get the boot on said plug

Originally posted by antmnte
        Do you use a gasket seat plug 13/16?
        I have the same problem.I think those "Shorty Plugs" are just small engine plugs
        from NGK repackaged as ACCEL's .The E3 small engine plugs are similar and
        I bet you really have more room there than you think, try to use a Autolite 85
        these are shorter than the Delco r43 but make sure you get 8 good ones. I
        have found the center porcelin "bent" and not in line the electrode.

I not sure about the gasket seat. I think i have some Autolite 85's laying around in work. Your right about the porcelin, I think I'm the only guy in work that checks to see if plugs are cracked and the same thing goes with the return plugs, I always check the boxes

-Steve McQueen

Comment

The accel 'shorty plug' is advertising BS (like most of thier product), they are the same length as autolite race plugs but without the high quality materials of an autolite.
          A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

The standard AC Delco R43TS plug is just as short as the Accel plug, last longer, and much cheaper. If you want a hotter plug, run the R44TS, or R45TS.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              The standard AC Delco R43TS plug is just as short as the Accel plug, last longer, and much cheaper. If you want a hotter plug, run the R44TS, or R45TS.
              Is the r45ts a gasket seat? Dosent TS stand for tapered seat?

Comment

Yep, tapered seat. Thats what the heads on a '72 Chevy will have. The peanut plug. I ran those plugs on my iron heads forever.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Ive got those damn big 13/16 gasket seat plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                    Ive got those damn big 13/16 gasket seat plugs.
                    I ve those on my Vic Jr heads, long reach too.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I pulled the plugs tonight and considering the crappy gas I've been getting from the local Shell and Sunco gas, the plugs are the correct tan color and they have been in the motor for awhile now, I think they have been in the motor for 3 years and holding pretty well.

Hell, the plugs from my dad's car had ash deposits on them and they were Platinum Delco's which are suppose to be self-cleaning.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Runner1972
                        I pulled the plugs tonight and considering the crappy gas I've been getting from the local Shell and Sunco gas, the plugs are the correct tan color and they have been in the motor for awhile now, I think they have been in the motor for 3 years and holding pretty well.

Hell, the plugs from my dad's car had ash deposits on them and they were Platinum Delco's which are suppose to be self-cleaning.

Gas is all the same except for the brands additive package(detergent ect.) for specific octane rating. It all comes out of the same bulk tank, but the additives are added, say by "shell" just before delivery to the station.

Comment

Originally posted by ch1ll
                          Originally posted by Runner1972

Gas is all the same except for the brands additive package(detergent ect.) for specific octane rating. It all comes out of the same bulk tank, but the additives are added, say by "shell" just before delivery to the station.
                          I'm not all that sure about that, additives being different,,
                          dad had a shell station and the tanker surplied the shell,mobil and gulf that are all within 400 feet of each other..
                          take that for what it's worth

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                            I'm not all that sure about that, additives being different,,
                            dad had a shell station and the tanker surplied the shell,mobil and gulf that are all within 400 feet of each other..
                            take that for what it's worth
                            [/quote]

Buddy of mine delivers bulk gas to stations, this is what he told me.
                            He also said you want to drive back empty, so there might be some of that going on.
                            What really sucks is when they dump the remainder of the regular in the premium tank if there is some left.
                            A few haulers and stations have been caught and fined in Wisconsin.
                            What you really have to do is avoid non name brand gas, you know the real cheap shit cause the don't have additives or good ones like injector guard. I avoid Citgo.

Comment

Working...
                            X