Cogged vs. not cogged belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cogged vs. not cogged belts

I'm getting new belts for my Charger, when I can find them. One of the belts has cogs, the other is smooth. I was thinking the smooth belts would be better because there would be more surface to grip, but the description for a cogged belt says "cogged for maximum grip and surface area" or something like that. One guy at Advance told me they were cogged so they could make a smaller radius with the belt, which makes sense, but it seems a smooth belt would make enough contact that it wouldn't slip.
    Is this whole cogged belts provide better grip even on bigger pulleys (like a power steering pump) true, or is it a load of crap? My alternator belt was the smooth one, and that didn't slip, and that has the small pulley. I think my power steering belt is slipping because of the cogs, not making enough contact.

Which one is actually better?
    Cogs
    72.73%
    No cogs
    27.27%

Thats weird.I just bought PS and Alt belts for my RoadRunner and they are both cogged.I dunno.

Comment

I think the cogs will probably not affect how much grip it gets...surface finish probably has a bit more to do with it, but tension is the most important thing Get a tension gage and look up the specs and get it right.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think the cogs are a marketing ploy.

I prefer a good quality belt over a cheap belt; top cogs, no cogs, cogs on the inside radius of the belt... whatever.

When I used to work at a parts store, we carried GoodYear belts and hoses. Typically, those were good quality, but... When they came out with the "Gatorback" belts, that's all we had in stock after the older inventory sold off. They might be fine for serpentine belts, but the diagonal "cogs" on the V-belt caused me to throw my alternator belt every time I did a burnout. I special ordered Gates belts instead. Never threw another belt.

Comment

the cogs are for quiteness..

Comment

I thought the cogs were for small diameter pulleys as well. I converted to individual serpentine belts kinda by accident (March pulley kit used two belts) So far so good once I got the alignment right.
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

the TOP COG used to be the premium belt in the day

Comment

Top Cog

Comment

Cogs have their place

Last edited by wrp; July 13, 2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X