Lets Talk G-body Suspension......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Talk G-body Suspension......

Well you knew it was coming, I know everyone and their grandma has scienced out the suspensions on these cars, which makes picking the right setup kind of hard....... I've been looking at he UMI Performance stuff, but I know there is a lot of others out there....... I basically want to set it up for drag racing, but still have a decent amount of cornering ability....... So yes swaybars will be installed....... And on the rear suspension is it better to go with a spring in the stock spring location with an adjustable shock or just get rid of the spring and go with a Coilover??....... I need to hook 1200hp, lets figure out the best way to do it...........

I really don't know what it takes to hook 1200 hp, so I'll just watch the thread.

On the Chevelle forum, however, cars that make big hp use an anti-roll bar on the rear end rather than a stock mounted sway bar. They mount to the frame from the rear end housing, rather than to the lower trailing arms.

Comment

Are there any class restrictions your wanting to meet? Stock location I believe has been 7s on a 275.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Sorry aint going to happen, this is where your theory stuff goes out the door and the rear world hits you square in the face.

Hooking 1200 hp easy

making it do anything around a corner pipe dream.

Your aready on the wrong path with whos parts your looking at. But i am going to love watching this thread.
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I say if you want a 1200HP car that can hook and handle then you better start with something AWD and have deep pockets. ;)
          Powertour off/on since 2002
          sigpic

Comment

I don't think you'll be able to out-corner your white Camaro and be able to hook 1200 hp up at the drag strip on a working man's budget.

Leave some 7" or 8" wide wheels on the front and leave the sway bar on the front - maybe even install a larger diameter one. Disconnect the end links for the drag strip, re-connect them for driving on the streets...and that's your front suspension for cornering. If you feel like playing with shocks from time to time, you can even swap them out for each application without too much trouble.

Comment

How about lower control arms, would you go boxed or tubular??

And Jeff here's the thing, either way, drag setup or corner carving setup, the suspension pieces will be the same..... And if I'm looking at the wrong peoples stuff who would you recommend??.....

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                I don't think you'll be able to out-corner your white Camaro and be able to hook 1200 hp up at the drag strip on a working man's budget.

Leave some 7" or 8" wide wheels on the front and leave the sway bar on the front - maybe even install a larger diameter one. Disconnect the end links for the drag strip, re-connect them for driving on the streets...and that's your front suspension for cornering. If you feel like playing with shocks from time to time, you can even swap them out for each application without too much trouble.
                I'm not trying to make it corner like my '99 Camaro, the emphases will be on a drag racing setup..... I agree with the disconnecting of the front sway bar and as for shocks I just figured I'd get a set of fully adjustable ones, that way I can adjust them how I want.....

I've already read of guys doing 1.18 60' times on 275 drag radials and KY said they are in the 7's on the same size tire, so these suspensions can be made to hook and hook a lot of HP at that........
                Last edited by TC; July 3, 2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

For one the peices are not the same, everything is different, and I MEAN EVERYTHING.

TRZ tell them I sent you. THEY WILL SELL YOU THE STUFF TO GO STRAIGHT.

Corners with require different control arms and springs and shocks on the front, and adding a sway bar, the rear will require a sway bar instead of a ARB and different springs and shocks, the Control arms will work.
                  Last edited by JeffMcKC; July 3, 2012, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                    I'm not trying to make it corner like my '99 Camaro, the emphases will be on a drag racing setup..... I agree with the disconnecting of the front sway bar and as for shocks I just figured I'd get a set of fully adjustable ones, that way I can adjust them how I want.....

I've already read of guys doing 1.18 60' times on 275 drag radials and KY said they are in the 7's on the same size tire, so these suspensions can be made to hook and hook a lot of HP at that........
                    Yes, and a help a lot of guys doing it, you just have no idea how special the parts are they are using, they dont come from Jegs and the shocks are revalved not stock valving. They also have very good power management. You wont find a Blow thru doing it.

Comment

I agree with Jeff. TRZ is THE ticket for this combination. If you don't want to listen to Jeff, then talk to this guy, Paul Ferrucci.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6986.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	862871

He's making just north of 1100hp with his Malibu and drives it on the street regularly... with a whole host of TRZ components. Between the guys at Scrivner Performance and TRZ, this they made this stock suspension Malibu one of the baddest G-bodies on the planet.

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Ron I take all of your guys input into consideration and I do value Jeff's input a lot!!!....... But like with all things I like to discuss stuff and see which is the best way to go......

I'm still wondering which is the best way to go, springs in the stock location of just switch to a coilover.......
                        Last edited by TC; July 3, 2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

TRZ offers a coil over can to weld in the front or Be Hives. With what you would want to do I would stay with a "Stock Coil" easy to switch and limit and will hold up well. Going just straight then a coil over, but pay attn to the lenght of the shock. Strip a BNC Afco would be the only shock and Big Guns on the back with a Radial valveing, its very tight on compression

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC View Post
                            TRZ offers a coil over can to weld in the front or Be Hives. With what you would want to do I would stay with a "Stock Coil" easy to switch and limit and will hold up well. Going just straight then a coil over, but pay attn to the lenght of the shock. Strip a BNC Afco would be the only shock and Big Guns on the back with a Radial valveing, its very tight on compression
                            If you are wanting to race this thing in any kind of organized event, you may also wish to familiarize yourself with which chassis combinations are legal for the class(es) in which you wish to compete. It sux donkey snot to be disqualified in tech inspection because your car doesn't meet the rules. After this familiarization with the rules, you should then make your chassis component selections based on what is acceptable per the rules. For example, the use of coil-over shocks, although perfectly safe and a good choice in my book, may not be legal per the class rules as the author(s) of the rulebook may feel they are a performance advantage.

Just sayin', if you are gonna do this, explore the details before you start swiping the credit card machine.

Ron
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

exactly the reason I asked the first question. Jeff, is it possible to keep stock location everything, just all ajustables and hook at this level? Trz is what the cars I know do run. Driving it on the street is one thing, taking it around cones or handling a curve well is another. Is there many classes that dont allow ARBs?
                              Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Working...
                              X