my LQ4 build plans and a few ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my LQ4 build plans and a few ?'s

okay so im swapping an lq4 6.0 into my 88 monte ss and this is my plan for the motor:

stock LQ4 6.0 bottom end
    stock 243 heads with PAC .650 lift beehive springs
    .040" thick headgaskets
    texas speed MS3 cam (not sure what i should run for an LSA though?)
    LS1 intake and throttle body
    Hedman 1 3/4" primary longtube headers (or should i step up to 1 7/8"?)

now here are my questions

could this make 425-ish rwhp through my RMVB th350 with 3600stall converter?

and could it push my monte to 11.50-60's in the 1/4 if i could get a 1.5-1.6 60ft? the trans does have a transbrake in it

the car weighs about 33-3400 and will have a 12 bolt with 4.10's running 275/50r15 m/t et street radials

also does anybody know what length pushrods i would have to run?

should i go with the MS3 cam? or do you guys have any better suggestions?

and finally what will my compression ratio be with a 100% stock bottom end, 100% stock 243's and .040" HG's?
    formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
    http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

You may want to step up to a bigger intake and TB. Check your pushrod length before ordering. You plan on the car staying n/a forever?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I run an LQ9 in my 03 SS Silverado truck which is now making a tad over 400 rwhp w/ stock bottom, cam,heads . One place I gained 15 hp was the installation of Comp Cams 1:8 to 1:00 true roller rockers, bee hive valve springs, and while we were at it .100" wall thickness 3/8" pushrods. The longtube headers came to life when we added Doug's Headers remote controll cutouts between the headers and the cats and mufflers. Last time I ran the 1/4 mile I ran in the high 13's in a truck that weighs 5830 lb. with me in it.
      It ran 134 mph in the standing mile with a 25 mph quartering headwind. I am adding a FAST intake and going back to the mile in April hopefully the winds will be kind.

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
        You may want to step up to a bigger intake and TB. Check your pushrod length before ordering. You plan on the car staying n/a forever?
        yeah i asked the same questions on ls1tech and came to the conclusion that ill need an LS6 intake and TB. it will be n/a for the foreseeable future, maybe a 100-150 shot of nitrous, if i ever decide to do a turbo motor the setup will be completely changed

Comment

Some of the Texas Speed cams have very aggressive ramp speeds, which isn't good for long term street use.... I was going to go with a cam from them but after reading about the valvetrain troubles other have had and my buddy Rick telling me not to use their cams I decided to go with a Comp Cam..... Comp has cams that are specifically designed for Cathedral Port heads and I know the cam I picked made 485hp in an LS1 in a cam shootout in one of the mags... In fact here's the link, the cam I'm using is the third on tested it has 231/239 duration...... And with the extra cubes that you have over a LS1 you should crest the 500hp mark with no problem......

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
            Some of the Texas Speed cams have very aggressive ramp speeds, which isn't good for long term street use.... I was going to go with a cam from them but after reading about the valvetrain troubles other have had and my buddy Rick telling me not to use their cams I decided to go with a Comp Cam..... Comp has cams that are specifically designed for Cathedral Port heads and I know the cam I picked made 485hp in an LS1 in a cam shootout in one of the mags... In fact here's the link, the cam I'm using is the third on tested it has 231/239 duration...... And with the extra cubes that you have over a LS1 you should crest the 500hp mark with no problem......

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...t/viewall.html
            that cam does look somewhat promising, wonder what it would put down for numbers with an LS6 intake instead of that fast 102 though...

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss 2 View Post
              that cam does look somewhat promising, wonder what it would put down for numbers with an LS6 intake instead of that fast 102 though...
              The article said it picked up 12hp switching to the LSX intake over the previous test with the same cam, though it also lost some torque below 4000rpm......
              Last edited by TC; January 17, 2013, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                The article said it picked up 12hp switching to the LSX intake over the previous test with the same cam, though it also lost some torque below 4000rpm......
                ahh i mustve missed that, i wonder how much it would gain with 243's

there are just too many ways to make power with these damn motors haha

Comment

good point tc.. about gentle ramp.

engines are bigger than ever makng less noise.

gm has all those choices with 50 years hanging over them.

I strangely learned that with an 80s subaru...old and new choice. smarter or dumber.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Run a ls6 intake to get it running, but youll wont bigger later. might as well use als1 if you have it and upgrade bigger later
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89 View Post
                      Run a ls6 intake to get it running, but youll wont bigger later. might as well use als1 if you have it and upgrade bigger later
                      yeah id like to get a fast intake eventually but ill try to get an LS6 for now, ill just sell my ls1

Comment

Working...
                      X