Ford 390: worth getting/building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 390: worth getting/building?

So I spent yet another Monday Morning in the junk yard after dropping Boy Wonder off at school. The last find was a '72 402 BBC in a truck, that I eventually missed because I couldn't get to the yard to pull it thanks to story deadlines.

Walking today, and spotted a FE engine in a truck with some rattle-can detailing, and a stock 4bbl intake. Since Ford usually put 2bbl carbs on everything, I ran what numbers I could, and they came back as '68 (ish) 390. It's backed by a C6.

Engine is $125. I know little about Fords...390s show up in trucks at this yard all the time. Is a 390 worth building?

-Brad

Re: Ford 390: worth getting/building?

I built a mild 390 years ago for a 4x4 truck that ran well for what it was. I'm not very exerienced with these motors other than that little buildup. I remember an article in one of the mags years ago that was a fairly impressive 390 FE motor build up. There are aftermarket heads and parts for them. I've heard that the port design on the FE motors wasn't all that good with the way the intake and heads are aranged. I'm sure some aftermarket heads and an intake would build and impressive litte street motor. Otherwise, I'm honestly not sure what could be done with stock heads and stuff other than the mild, barely more than stock build I did. If it was me and I had the $$ to spend on it and a purpose for it, I'd probably buy it. Just my $.02

Comment

390's are enjoying a bit of a resurgence thanks to stroker kits and aluminum heads now available from Edelbrock and others.
      They are well worth building and can make some great power and torque.

Check out Fordfe.com - and look up Barry Robotnick at Survival Motorsports - he's taken FE Fords to the engine masters challenge for several years with impressive results - he sells the stroker kits and really knows these engines, great guy to deal with.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

If you were a Ford guy you would not have asked, you'd have just bought it.....but being a non-Ford guy you probably don't want to mess with it.

That's my opinion as a Chevy guy.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          If you were a Ford guy you would not have asked, you'd have just bought it.....but being a non-Ford guy you probably don't want to mess with it.

That's my opinion as a Chevy guy.
          Partially true...I am a Chevy guy (and I've got a pretty big soft-spot for Buick Nailheads too). I know one guy who's a hard-core Ford guy---got huge Ford tats on his forearms and everything. He walks by the 390s all the time and acts like they're not worth bothering with. But he also seems to think anything under 540 inches isn't worth the time of day either (though he doesn't really have anything of his own since I've known him).

I'm not sure why I'm even thinking about it...it's doubtful I'll ever own a Ford (but I do like several body styles).

-Brad

Comment

My neighbor parted out a couple early 60s T birds a couple years ago and I couldn't find any reason to get the 390 or 406 from him and he couldn't find any reason to keep either one. and he's a Ford guy!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

hey , it looks like a 427
              and those are cool

Comment

wow a 427 in that light rod...... that thing must FLY
                And I'm sure it's nice and quiet with no mufflers- just long runs of straight pipes!
                :o
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                X