Breaking loose a seized engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking loose a seized engine

Well - several of us are looking at the task of breaking loose an engine that has been in storage a while... so I decided it was a good idea to pool our thoughts here.

I've scoured the internet and found some interesting suggestions:

1. brake fluid
    2. Marvel Mystery Oil
    3. set up a constant pressure on the crank (a long bar with weight hanging from it)
    4. beat the snot out of the pistons using a block of wood and a sledge (going in the firing order around the engine)

Seth and I were thinking that getting a 55 gallon drum and putting enough penetrant in it to immerse the entire short block in would be a dandy idea - depending on the cost of the penetrant of course.

The other thought I had was to take the shortblock to a place that "acid dips" car bodies - this would be a last resort as I'm sure the pistons and bearings and any other "soft" metal may not make it through the process - but ALL of the rust and ALL of the paint would be gone when I got the things back - no idea on cost for this process either.

Your thoughts?

(I've so far avoided the temptation to hook up my 3/4" impact and try to turn it over with that - I'm quite sure I'd just bust off the bolt in the crank)
    There's always something new to learn.

Re: Breaking loose a seized engine

If you take the crank out, then you only have to deal with one stuck piston at a time.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

mystery oil gets my vote, if it's a standard transmission you've got it made. let it sit for a while with the oil in it, and then start rocking it back and forth. if it's a auto, get under it with a prybar and start working the flexplate.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I extracted the crank out of my Studebaker engine. I have 5 pistons/rods that are still stuck however.

I've been dousing them with PB blaster and Marvel Mystery oil. Thank God winter is coming because if I was in a rush to get this done I'd be really pissed, it's a long ass process!

I am starting to get some weep through in a couple of cylinders so that is giving me hope that by next week my dead blow hammer and a trusty chunk of wood will get the rest of them out.

Marvel Mystery Oil worked bitchin' on my stuck lifters I was able to free them and get the cam out with no trouble after a couple of days.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

x3 on the marvels mystery oil, pour it down the plug hole and let it set for a few days then get something to bolt to the balancer to turn it over not the balancer retaining bolt.

Comment

Trying to free up an engine by turning the crank is a bad idea. It doesn't matter how you go about it. It's too easy to damage something. If you're talking a common SBC, that's one thing, but a 428CJ is another.
            I had to disassemble a 440 for friend a few years ago that was stuck. It wouldn't budge. But that doesn't mean that ALL the cylinders are stuck. What I found was that by removing the caps from the rods, I could push the unstuck pistons down the bores, and then there was less mass fighting me when I tried to turn it over. A few that were "frozen" in place were easily removed by tapping on the back side of the piston top using a wooden dowel and a mallet. What we found was that only two pistons were actually stuck, but it was enough to keep the whole assembly from turning over, even using the starter, a long bar, soaking it for weeks, etc.

Try it this way, so you are concentrating your force on one piston, instead of trying to move all of them at once.

Comment

How about pouring some of that Ultra-One deruster stuff in the cylinders for awhile.
              That stuff seems to do a good job on desolving rust.
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I have heard of people using vinegar which is a mild acid with good results. It would cause the least damage.
                Nick

Comment

These are some great ideas.

I have a short block here - no heads, no oil pan. The cam and lifters are still in it, the front cover, balancer and pulley are still on the crank.

I have been soaking it with PB so far - two cans worth over several weeks - I think I may have a chance at getting the main caps loose, and several of the rod caps off, then work on the pistons on an individual basis.

For the 292 chevy I6 for the '54 - well, Dave tells me I may want to start on that with a grinder!

Comment

i am doing this to a 60 over 283 from a old race car were restoring we filled the cyl. with kroil and let it soke and then pulled the crank and taped each piston out with a peice of derale{sorry can't spell} if the piston does not move we soak it more

good luck

Comment

KROIL is the BOMB! I love that stuff - but as far as I know it has to be ordered direct and in some pretty pricey quantities. If I had $$ I'd buy 35 gal worth and soak this things whole!

Comment

My father in law keeps telling me to find some of this stuff. He talks about the stuff like it's a miracle product from the heavens.

Deep Creep is a premium-grade penetrating oil & spray lubricant that creeps deeper, works harder & lasts longer. Frees rusted bolts, screws and more. Spray Deep Creep on metals to lubricate & protect them.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I've heard good things about seafoam fuel system cleaners - I may give that stuff a try -
                          according to the website it's available at these stores:

US:

ABC Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts

Auto Value

Bumper to Bumper

CARQUEST Auto Parts

NAPA Auto Parts

O'Reilly Auto Parts (these guys are buying up Murray's stores in Michigan)

Parts Plus

PEPBOYS Auto

Pronto Auto Parts

Comment

my brother ges it from brownells {gun supply} i get it from him at his work check them out if ya can't get it let me know maybe he can score ya some been known to happen

of as for the turning over i use my crank turning socket or my flywheel turner like i said the 283 has no crank bolt yet

Comment

cool, I have a crank socket - but not sure it will fit the 428 - have not tried it yet.

I may have to put the flexplate on and try that next.

Comment

Working...
                              X