oil pressure switch location help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure switch location help needed

OKay folks, here is my problem. I have a 400 SBC, that I am changing out the aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge and attempting to use the original in dash gauge. The sending unit does not clear the HEI distributor. First fix I am thinking is to use a street 45 deg elbow to offset the sending unit to clear the distributor. While attempting this I discovered that I cannot turn the elbow more than a couple of revolutions before it comes in contact with the intake and will not seal. This seams like it should be a simple job that is turning into a project. I don't think I have ever had to remove a distributor or intake to change a sending unit. Is it possible to relocate the sending unit to another location ( Not sure where this would be). Maybe there is a smaller type gauge sending unit available? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Bob

Re: oil pressure switch location help needed

look on the side of the block above the oil filter, should be a 1/4" pipe plug that you can use. Chevy used it for a pressure switch to run the electric choke/fuel pump, and some other things, over the years. Might not give completely accurate pressure like the proper one will?

Instead of a street elbow, get a short nipple and a regular elbow to put it near the distributor.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I had problems with my original sending unit leaking on my 350. I found that there are 2 different sending units for SBC. One is shorter than the other. You may want to look at both at a parts store to determine if either will resolve your problem.
      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

kind of depends on what gage it has, too...they changed over the years. although the idiot light one mostly stayed the same!
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel

Instead of a street elbow, get a short nipple and a regular elbow to put it near the distributor.

Went with this plan. Seems to work ok and only looks a little hokey. I only hope I was able to tighten it enough to prevent a leak.

Comment

factory sbc used a short piece of pipe and a 45 degree
            go scrounge a 305 or even a 299 v6 in the junkyard

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              factory sbc used a short piece of pipe and a 45 degree
              go scrounge a 305 or even a 299 v6 in the junkyard
              x2 a J/Y trip is in order the 80-90s small blocks had a fitting in the back that was 1 1/2 or so tall with a 90 som you could point it toward the driver side try that

Comment

I am going to take a look I am due for a trip to the yard anyway.

Comment

What do 4.3's use?

I cobbled a little extension for the 45* elbow on my 350 out of hardware store fittings. Some teflon tape, put the fitting in first, then screwed on the sending unit. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X