Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

351 Cleveland guys...external oil line: thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 351 Cleveland guys...external oil line: thoughts?

This is just something of a question that gets debated alot...curious if there are many Cleveland guys floating around here.

Is an external line worth running on a mild engine? I know a few places that have AN line kits, braided line, etc, but I was thinking more along the lines of just getting plain jane steel line, running probably a 5/16" diameter line from the port by the fuel pump up the front of the block, hug the top of the intake, and just snake it back to the oil pressue port on tha back of the block.

If I was doing a rebuilt, I would send the block out and have the lift bores machined and bushed with restrictor sleaves to correct the top end issues, but this engine is not getting blown all the way apart.

I am debating about replacing the pump in the engine, but at this point, it has provided decent all around oil pressure ever since I got the engine, and I don't know if I have just cause to screw with it honestly.

Thanks for any input

Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: 351 Cleveland guys...external oil line: thoughts?

there's a network 54 cleveland forum - you need to join there - those guys are the doctors of clevo's - many many many very experienced minds there.

From what I know - the outside oil line is a good idea for high rpm usage, not really necessary for a mostly street duty engine... but a must for any kind of more serious racing.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Agreed. On a mild setup, it's not that important.
      If this was to be a high rpm screamer, yes do it, but a
      mild Cleveland will be fine without it.

Comment

The external oil line is not really required in any circumstance. If you are going to buzz the engine, then standard build and oil control procedures apply. You'll increase the bearing clearance, push more oil around, use a scraper and run a larger pan, etc. On the 351C, you can bush the right lifter bores for more oil control since the mains are fed off that gallery. For a normal engine with stock clearances, the stock pump is fine. If you want to drag it once in a while, put a tray or scraper in the pan and run an extra quart. 351C and 460 share the same type on oiling system and you don't hear people running around worried that their BBF is going to fly apart because there is some sort of oil control issue. The 351C in the Mustang goes about 2000 passes (about 4 years) between refreshes and all the bearings looked just fine last time I was in there, including #5. Oil control consists of a 9 quart Milodon pan with 8 quarts of VR1, a MPG scraper, Melling HV pump that has been smoothed, oil passage from the pump to the filter has been "ported" and the drain back holes in the head are cleaned up.

Comment

Thanks Falcon...I have a 4 speed car, and I have...issues...about sort of shifting the car enthusiatically when i am driving it, not even for dragging, just general driving.

I am still planning on building my '72 4v CJ setup...but my current is a '70 2v engine that I have been having fun with. I plan on having the lifter bores bushed, but I've been overly paranoid about finding a shop to do the block for me...I have that covered now, but it's on the back burner yet again. I have a CJ plan that I widened 2 months back with the factory windage tray and baffles that I am going to use for now on the 2v.
          Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Thanks Falcon...I have a 4 speed car, and I have...issues...about sort of shifting the car enthusiatically when i am driving it, not even for dragging, just general driving.
            Is the reason The Lord blessed us with rev limiters.

I am still planning on building my '72 4v CJ setup...but my current is a '70 2v engine that I have been having fun with. I plan on having the lifter bores bushed, but I've been overly paranoid about finding a shop to do the block for me...I have that covered now, but it's on the back burner yet again. I have a CJ plan that I widened 2 months back with the factory windage tray and baffles that I am going to use for now on the 2v.
            Well, keep it all in perspective. A lot of the "351C oiling problem" is magazine hacks (present forum owner excepted) repeating half understood information. The main reason people hacked on the Cleveland oiling system was to run them 500 miles in a circle at 7500 RPM. I stay in mine after the stripe but its only for a few feet. 7000 is no big deal for a 351C unless it for like a few hours.

Bob was buzzing his to probably 9000+ on the drag strip. He was also sawing pieces off the head and making new exhaust ports. You do that stuff when you only need it to last 10 runs and make every last ounce of power.

If you are not doing either, then you are much less likely to notice any issues.

Comment

Working...
            X