No announcement yet.

What stall speed would you guys select?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What stall speed would you guys select?

Someone owns a lot of T350's to get rid of I geuss, you guys need to get over the 400 stuff, and figure out its 2008 those days are over. Next new trick we will hear is there a trans called a clutch turbo and it is the new hot ticket.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
      Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
      It is a well know fact that a TH400 uses 60ft/lbs of torque more to operate than a TH350 does.
      Really? Never heard that one before.
      If I remember right I read it in one of the Mags. Which would be CC, HR or CHP, since those are the mags I read. If I get the time I'll see if I can dig up the article. And by the way a TH350 built the right way can take a lot of abuse.

Comment

Yes they can but they offer nothing over a 400 when side by side unless the 400 wont fit. I bet the 400 they tested did not have a aluminum high gear drum or any other goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
          Yes they can but they offer nothing over a 400 when side by side unless the 400 wont fit. I bet the 400 they tested did not have a aluminum high gear drum or any other goodies.
          I really don't remember the specifics of the article but I do remember them saying the thing about the 60ft/lbs.

And I'm not the only one saying it. Even though these guys are quoting HP loss.
          C3 Tech/Performance - What is the drivtrain loss for a TH400? - I'm just curious how much power I'll lose from the auto vs the 4speed.

Comment

LOL I would not be quoting those as MAX Effort programs, and a lot of hear say. The guy with the one car is just full of crap, if you lose 80 HP in a quarter mile that in a 3500 lbs car would be 5 mph and .36 in ET. I bet he can switch and wont pick up 5 mph what do you think? This is figuring a 700 HP car at 3500 whitch is on the low side of cars I am talking about. 600 to 700 on up I would not be using a T350 or a Glide if you can hook low gear in a 400 which is not easy to do, this is why most guys pick up on a glide it has a bigger window to get the car to hook in.

Comment

I believe there is a 5 lb weight difference between the stock internals of a TH400 and a TH350 -- as Jeff implies, the TH400 can be lightened with some aluminum parts. 5 lbs will not suck up 60-80 HP. Other than the beefier parts, the internal design of the TH350 and TH400 are very similar so there are no major design differences to account for such a large difference in claimed power absorption.

I'm with you on the TH350 being a strong trans though -- I use one in my Camaro. I wouldn't hesitate to use a TH400 though if I ever had trouble making the 350 live.

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                .There is a thing called Traction and launching a car at a higher stall speed where it is making more power is only going to make hooking up the tires that much harder.
                ...what kind/size tires is he going to be running. And what mods has he done to the rear suspension.
                The more load you put on a tire, the more overall traction it will provide. So I'm hoping the additional torque transfer will help plant the tires hard enough to provide enough traction.
                Hopefully the converter I am going with will not shock the tires loose, and the traction bars I have will transfer the tire's force to the CG of the car. They are not CE bolt ons.

The tire size I am limited to is about an 11 1/2" section width, or about 10" of tread.
                There are cars making more power, bigger converters, going faster than me on that size. ..and I've seen how stock their suspensions are.

I'm just going to have suck it and see!

Comment

Working...
                X