• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find...

454 Headers for 60-66 Chevy Truck?
    Anyone out there make them? ???

Re: Where can I find...

hedman 68-87 truck headers work, but they're kind of low at the collector. not so good for a lowered truck.

Beware that you'll need to trim the frame no matter what exhaust you put in it, look at a 68-72 frame for guidance.

edit: also beware that 60-62 trucks may not be able to use these headers, they are funky compared to 63-up
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No one makes them??? ???

Comment

The problem is not really that no one makes the headers, the problem is that early 60's chevy pick-ups didn't come with big blocks (I think 400cid was max) so you can't search for them by that motor and year of truck. You'd have to either find something for a year where they had 454's like squirrel suggested, or find someone who's used others and made them fit.

Comment

You might find some shorties that would work.

Comment

I put those Hedmans in a 66 chevy truck, they fit pretty well after I trimmed the frame. I used the factory 68-72 big block mounts which move the engine forward a bit from where the small block normally sits.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              I put those Hedmans in a 66 chevy truck, they fit pretty well after I trimmed the frame. I used the factory 68-72 big block mounts which move the engine forward a bit from where the small block normally sits.
              Do you have any pics? What's the part number of the headers you used? Where did you have to trim the frame?

Comment

i have a 66' shortbed stepside with a 454 and hedman longtube headers,but i have a front subframe from a later 70's pickup. and i only had a little piece of frame touching the header so i trimmed it. probably less then an inch or something small as hell cant remember

Comment

What year truck? Squirrel is right about the '60-'62 trucks. They have a torsion bar front suspension, with an extra cross member that interferes with everything. (Nice place for an X-pipe for the exhaust though...they even put in clearance for it).

Shorty headers will be your easiest fit, regardless of year.

-Brad

Comment

I would not say that shorty big block headers would be a good fit, they seem to stick out way too far to the sides...

My fabulous web page

Comment

I have a set of Hedman shorties on my 454 Camaro. I would think if they fit a Camaro????

Comment

no, the camaro frame is much wider than the truck frames.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                        X