Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFI vs. a Carb: Which makes more Horsepower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EFI vs. a Carb: Which makes more Horsepower?

Originally posted by Dynoroom
    \Now let me tell you what REALLY makes efi better at the salt, or any other race venue. If you do your home work before you leave for the "Great White Dyno" you're done! Altitude compensation is a wonderful tuning tool ;). If you want to try other things like more or less timing, add fuel, or ??? go ahead, but the basic package should be dialed in at home (on the dyno) and anything else you do is because you want to. You'll find out soon enough that your not going to "find" 10 mph in the tune up unless you forgot to do your homework.
    Good point...and one that seemingly needs to be shared with other efi racers...because I see a LOT of laptops out there with guys "finding the tune."

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
      Good point...and one that seemingly needs to be shared with other efi racers...because I see a LOT of laptops out there with guys "finding the tune."
      [/quote]

Yep, kinda like drivers who walk around in their suit & nomex to "look the part"
      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

I used to love it when J.O. journalists would show up at press days in their driving suits.

Comment

It seems that the carb has an edge because of "wet flow dynamics". I have always thought the EFI injector was too close to the intake valve to allow for a proper liquid-to-gas phase change. (not for street but high HP application). If the injector was backed further up the intake port path (allowing more time for atomization) do you think it would make more HP? Didn't Kinsler mechanical FI do that and claim more HP than a Hilborn? Or was there some other claim?

Comment

J.O.??
            There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Saltfever...you mean like in F1?

Comment

J.O.??
                "jagoff," to tribute the Grayism.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltfever
                  It seems that the carb has an edge because of "wet flow dynamics". I have always thought the EFI injector was too close to the intake valve to allow for a proper liquid-to-gas phase change. (not for street but high HP application). If the injector was backed further up the intake port path (allowing more time for atomization) do you think it would make more HP? Didn't Kinsler mechanical FI do that and claim more HP than a Hilborn? Or was there some other claim?
                  You're a smart fella Fever, you'll get this yet... just remember we're talk'in gasoline here, but seems to me them Honda IRL engines have the injectors waaayy up the port too.... hummm

300 in 1999

Comment

J.O.??
                    "jagoff," to tribute the Grayism.
                    Ohh. I loved it when Gray would say that...

300 in 1999

Comment

You're a smart fella Fever, you'll get this yet... just remember we're talk'in gasoline here, but seems to me them Honda IRL engines have the injectors waaayy up the port too.... hummm
                      Does alchohol pretty much disappear if the injector is too high?

And, pardon my ignorance, but what fuel do they run in IRL? Methanol?

Comment

Does alchohol pretty much disappear if the injector is too high?

And, pardon my ignorance, but what fuel do they run in IRL? Methanol?
                        Ethanol

300 in 1999

Comment

distance from the valve to the injector is a time dependent variable. the higher the expected air flow speed the farther from the valve the injector needs to be.

oh, i agree, in peak terms, a carb will usually win out, efi is nicer to drive, and if you are colorblind, you can still tune......

Comment

Wouldn't methanol make more power? Why ethanol?

Comment

politics

Comment

Wouldn't methanol make more power? Why ethanol?
                                Hmm, ethanol comes from corn. The corn belt is where? The IRL is headquartered where? ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X