Dragweek is easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragweek is easy

My dragweek isn't going as planned, can't get a decent 60'. The first day the fan starts acting up and it's the nice 75 amp relay for the fan. Next I shorten up a push rod by a 1/4" with a "S" bend but it did come out in one peice.
    I was the last car out of the lot at Tulsa after fixing the pushrod, only to have the laptop go dead and slow me down trying to make the fuel changes back to pump gas for the drive to Ennis. Only 380 miles, yes 380 miles of mostly decent roads that must have followed a goat path. Didn't have a temp gauge to check the temp on the 9" but with a spool and all the curves I could smell the hot shock proof gear lube.
    Drove all night with the engine temp hovering just a hair over 205 but having sealed up most of the air leaks around the radiator, the heat under the hood and coming through the firewall was amazing. Missed a turn which added about 40 miles to the trip, ( no smart phone, map or GPS here) and leaving one gas station I didn't latch the Bikini top back down and it left the car at about 30 MPH, odd what happens to the mind thrashing on a car in the heat and no sleep. A little duct tape and the hole in the top was fixed, back on the right road and at the next fuel stop the credit card is denied, knew I should have called but didn't.
    Thankfully I had cash and it was off to Ennis, a little fun fact is if you spool the turbo pulling a fairly heavy trailer while running regular rubber tires they will spin at 60 MPH quite easy.
    Got to Ennis and they were already racing, while changing to the drag radials the threads on the new 5/8" studs were starting to go bad, found out you shouldn't run them without some never seize. The first pass I spun and the engine didn't run clean out the back door so I lifted. Came right back around went a shitty 1.67 60' spinning again and with a bit of rough running went 150 MPH which wasn't to bad for the lower boost I had it set for. track time was up and while changing back to the street tires I wrecked a 5/8" stud. My copilot looked bad, I had been up for about 33 hours, so with only 4 studs on one wheel and the car still running I pulled the plug on Dragweek. Drove down to Georgetown Texas about 120 miles to recover a bit at a good friends house. Plan to make the now 500 mile trip back to Tulas on Thrursday, Grand Prix speed shop will have studs for me and I hope to rejoin the fun Friday night.
    Dam this is fun. LOL

was this your first drag week ?
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

wow, you had a tough time, but it sure was fun watching you run on the live feed

Seems the key to drag week is to use your car as a daily driver for a year....
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I thought I was missing some cars... bummer on the problems, but that is the coolest little car! If you're gonna go weird, go full on!!!

Turbo'd Pontiac in a TR6. I love it. Hope to see you on Friday.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yes, this was my first dragweek but I put 1200 miles on the car a couple years ago on the power tour, and it see's a lot of street miles. The stud issue was lack of knowledge, and changing to a new shorter tire size isn't helping a bit.
          Note to self, have car ready at least one month before and do a bunch of test driving. Thanks for the nice coments, as D. F. said long ago, dare to be different.

Comment

I saw a couple guys having trouble with those big studs last year, I loaned out my triangle file more than once.

A month is not long enough. I took my car on the beginning of power tour about a week after I built it....nothing like a 1300 mile drive to show you some things you need to work on. Then the next year I went all the way, 5500 miles. 14 years later it finally got to go on drag week.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

now you have a list of what won't work. I think "Murphey's Law" originated at Drag Week.
              Was wondering what had happened. See you in Tulsa.

PS
              The car rocks.
              Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Like watching all that Poncho power.

Comment

It was great meeting you at Tulsa and most fitting that another pontiac powered car got you to the speedshop to get the pushrods.

You surely didn't make it easy on yourself with sleeping in a tent at the track, an open air car, packed tightly with a turbo powerplant packed in like a sardine.

Dare to be different indeed!

You meet the nicest people on dragweek.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Glad to see you made it back to Tulsa in one piece. Hope to see it run tomorrow, good luck.

Comment

Sitting at home and almost feel good again, nice meeting all the people.
                      Like to thank RAIV70 Judge for the ride to Grand Prix to pick up the pushrods, also thanks to JeffMcKC for the use of the neck collar and speedstreaks for the offer to use his shop, wish I had a smart phone and had seen the offer.
                      Was quit the adventure, plan and simple I wasn't ready. Feel bad that the car didn't perform up to its potential, I don't know what the radials want. The pass I bent bent the pushrod I had it set for 21 PSI, a monh ago it went 150 mph at only 14.5 psi so it should have run a pretty good MPH. On a good note the car took the 1000 miles I dove it with no real trouble. It was hotter then hell, but even took the stop and go traffic in downtown Dallas on the 500 mile back to Tulsa from a friend house in Georgetown Texas.
                      I heard Brian was even talking up the old TR6, like I said quit the adventure.
                      Last edited by v869tr6; September 17, 2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Ed. you did GREAT! You have a cool ass car. I'm proud of you for doing well. Drag Week is a crazy bit8h of a road trip with some racing made for a bunch of nuts with ballls. You did more then 99.9% of the people with "street cars" on the ole internet. Nice to see you and look forward to seeing you again soon. Nino
                        Last edited by EFI400ATI; September 18, 2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I loved the car, but as always didn't have time to get over to every car and everyone I'd hoped to meet. Never sieze on wheel studs, all sizes, is one of those little things we've all learned the hard way along with getting a handle on the navigation/driving task and dealing with fatigue. I think you were smart to pull the plug and Lord knows the first drive was a bitch. As Jeff says, getting to DW is an accomplishment, finishing it is the win. I'm only 3 in 5 of the latter and it isn't getting any easier.
                          Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                          X