Eff up number 3567

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eff up number 3567

Was doing some side work yesterday to help fund my life, had to move the car to use the lift. At the end of the day I was putting car away and thought ill just take it for a spin around the block, on the way back I gave it a 1st gear hit and woof, up comes the hood, evidently someone or me opened the hood and didn't latch it. Bent up the hinges, dented a fender, and ruined the hood. I have a fiberglass amx hood I am going to put on it now, just need to figure out if I should mold on a cowl scoop or just leave the hole in the hood and make a scoop for carbs, or put the single dominator on for drag week and leave the hood with no hole.
    Last edited by tsanchez; March 10, 2013, 08:21 AM.
    Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
    Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
    Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
    Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Sorry for your Hood loss
    been there done that on a friends car
    make scoop for carbs

Comment

Better to happen now and a great testament to get them out there driving and get the bugs worked out! What a royal bummer though. Sorry man.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Lost a sweet tear drop on my 56 that way. Many years ago, but still miss that hood. Come to think of it, I miss that car.

Got time to work it out, but feel your pain.
        Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Ouch!
            At least your windshield and roof weren't the "up stop" like usually happens with factory hinges!
            AMX hood looks good on the Javelin.
            I see a clear, reversible, rain proof, dual dominator carb scoop in your near future....
            D R A G - W E E K - '05 - '06 - '07 - '08 - '09 - '10 - '11 - '12 - '13 - '14 - '15 - '16 - '17

Comment

That's what Im thinking, maybe just alum though

Hood fits like socks on a rooster, will take some work
              Last edited by tsanchez; March 10, 2013, 02:23 PM.
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Oh man, that's the worst!
                Worst part is the fender damage.
                I think a grumpy Jenkins style scoop would be killer on a javelin, but I'm partial to late 60's and early 70's street machine look
                Are you going to find some lighter hood springs? I've been looking for some for my Kaplan TA glass javelin hood, prop rod is a pain.

Comment

I have some light springs
                  Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

hood came open on my 73 camaro,messed up the hood cracked the windshield. hood came open on my jeep cj7 bent the hood busted the windshield bent the windshield frame. hood came open on my 53 ford dented the fender,the hood hinges on these cars are so crappy it didnt hurt them..

Comment

I havent had a problem with my hood, or lack of. And so far, I've only driven it in light rain with the blower scoop facing forward.
                      Go ahead, pull my finger.

Comment

Do like I did with my 65 Chevy pickup- reverse the hinge so it opens from the rear. That won't happen again.

Sorry for the damage, man. Very nice looking car and it runs great too!
                        Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletproof View Post
                          hood came open on my 73 camaro,messed up the hood cracked the windshield. hood came open on my jeep cj7 bent the hood busted the windshield bent the windshield frame. hood came open on my 53 ford dented the fender,the hood hinges on these cars are so crappy it didnt hurt them..
                          Mike, sounds like you better put hood pins on the Henry J
                          2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
                          2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
                          all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

Working...
                          X