Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready for the Tour - FiTech or Holley Sniper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for the Tour - FiTech or Holley Sniper?

I know I am going to aggravate some Purists and hard core Ford folks, but I am considering updating my '73 Mustang 351-4 with either a FiTech or Holley Sniper EFI system. I just can't get the carburetor adjusted correctly and I really want to enjoy driving my Mustang on a daily basis. I think long term this may be the best option for me. I truly would appreciate any "constructive" comments and inputs on this subject. Especially if you have installed either system yourself. Thanks in advance.........
    2018 Long Hauler
    1965 Chevy C10 SWB Stepside
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/781158065608127/

Originally posted by FREDMAXX View Post
    I know I am going to aggravate some Purists and hard core Ford folks, but I am considering updating my '73 Mustang 351-4 with either a FiTech or Holley Sniper EFI system. I just can't get the carburetor adjusted correctly and I really want to enjoy driving my Mustang on a daily basis. I think long term this may be the best option for me. I truly would appreciate any "constructive" comments and inputs on this subject. Especially if you have installed either system yourself. Thanks in advance.........
    As always, anything I change or remove from this original Mustang I will preserve and keep for future possible use.
    2018 Long Hauler
    1965 Chevy C10 SWB Stepside
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/781158065608127/

Comment

I'd highly recommend picking up a summit racing carb for your car. I converted my 289 from a 2V to 4V with an edelbrock performer intake and a summit 500cfm carb and it was fantastic out of the box. It's also highly recommended on the VMF message board. It's like a new car. Great throttle response through all RPM ranges. Push it to the floor once to set the choke and it fires right up.

https://www.summitracing.com/dom/sea...%20Carburetors

While the car runs great, it is running a bit rich. I picked up one of these as well:

Free Shipping - AutoMeter Sport-Comp Digital Gauges with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Gauges at Summit Racing.

I was able to tune the carb to where it has 14-14.5 at idle and cruise, but anything over 2K RPM it drops to 10-11 so it needs to be rejetted, which I just bought a kit for.

I know multiple people that have used both. The sniper seems to be the preferred one as it has more features for about the same price. My biggest issue with these new systems is fuel pump failure. It seems to happen a lot more than it should. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Sniper unit.
      Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 9, 2018, 07:56 AM.
      1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
      1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

I use the Holley Terminator on a 383 chevy and love it. Just a few things to consider. Are you good at computer stuff. Do you have anyone local that you can use as a life line if a problem that you cant figure out occurs. Are you good at reading and understanding instructions and then following instructions ( I have issue with this, caused me lots of head aches). I do believe that all the bolt on aftermarket EFI systems are over sold on the tune itself, plug and play aspect. Most people I know had a few bugs to work out before it was ready to roll.
        I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

Sniper System over the FITECH any day.

Good carb that is tunable: Holley HP series, Quick Fuel, AED or Braswell. The correct carb properly tuned works better than F.I. usually making more power for less money.

For the money, the Quick Fuel is the way to go in a mild street engine. I would keep the CFM around 600 or less. I have used 390 CFM carbs with great success in similar applications.
          Last edited by htrdharley; May 9, 2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I got my FI Tech 400hp a year ago on ebay. I basically got the command center and a $30.00 throttle cable bracket for free.

Comment

swapped in a ez efi/ gm ram jet intake combo and it runs good. my problem is the damn fuel pump in the tank issue. twice now i have had to drop the tank for clogged hosebetween the pump and bulkhead. my advice if your heart is set on converting is find a kit that builds the required fuel pressure just at the engine and skip the tank nonsence. if your just looking for simple turn the key and enjoy this is what i would do knowing what i know now. this would also cause the least problems restoring to stock

Comment

That is what I liked about the FI tech. You can use the stock fuel lines and the mechanical pump is still there if you wanted to put a carb back on it. I had just put a new tank in when they came out with the ones with the pump built in. Not having to change the intake and mess with the distributor saves time and money.

Comment

Working...
                X