First time power tour questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time power tour questions

Ok this is my first post. I've been wanting to go on power your for a long time. I finally made up my mind that I'm going in 2011. I already talked myself out of driving my 79 Malibu due to poor mileage, no a/c, and 3.73's with no overdrive. So I'm planning on taking my 93 chevy p/u ( but don't worry it's not a stock truck at least).

So my questions are, what usealy happens at the venues, just alot of hanging out? Basicaly I have no idea what to expect. I am already planning on booking hotels soon and setting aside some cash. What else do I need to know?
    79 malibu that hopefully makes it for 3000 miles

Made it with no breakdowns, missing 2012

Re: First time power tour questions

Here's what happens at the venues:

Lots of really cool cars to look at.
    Vendors to visit and pick up free swag
    Stage show with give aways if you're so inclined.
    Sometimes an autocross depending on where we're at.

In other words, LOTS.
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Welcome phoneguy. I imagine you are already reading the threads here, and if not, please start. There is a wealth of information shared here. Secondly, ask questions! Post alot! You will find folks here more than willing to give you answers, ideas, and advice. Great people here who share your interest in cars, people, and the good times that come with 'em. Jump right in, you're gonna love it.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I have been reading here. This sight seems to have the best info. I hope to have my plans finalized in the next few weeks so I can start the hotel process. I also plan on joining aaa as a emergency back up. Also are cb radios used at all by anyone or am I just stuck in the 70's?

Comment

Look at that! Second post and he's already got an avatar. Well done.

I'm sure some use CB's but most everyone in the group I travel with use those little hand held 2way radios.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Don't forget the part about the new guy buys..... ;) ;D

Comment

Well, this is going to be our second powertour where we run it full tilt.
              I have my Torino, and I don't know, we didn't have AC, cruise, or hell even a radio. 4 speed, and spinning 3800 rpm at 80 mph for a good chunk of the trip. Milage? I think I averaged like 12-15 MPG when I ah, um, kept my foot out of it.

As far as what to expect? lots of good people, lots of awesome hardware rolling along, plan on probably making a turn or two in the wrong place and have 16 other cars follow you at least until the 5th wrong turn.

I found last year was a lot of fun from the point...following other guys not worrying about directions, and dude, some of the towns we rolled through, locals came out and lined the streets, people having a lot of fun, and if you run into problems, people having good times and thumbs up for all.

Here was on Sunday Morning leaving Newton, on I want to say I-80
              Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Hi phoneguy!
                Expect to have the time of your life!! You need to book hotels asap. Look at the hotel info thread on here for some ideas. Cheap rooms sell out quick. Try to book where other Forum Freaks are staying, or at least nearby. There is always a party in a parking lot somewhere!!! You will meet people who will instantly become lifetime friends. In other words, sell your firstborn child if you have to, but go on Power Tour!!!!!!
                Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

i give the same reply evey time first timers ask the same question....power tour is what ever you make of it. every one i know seems to have a differant story on how they do power tour. that's whats so cool about it. you can run their route....or not. you can take side trips to sight see. some of the best parties are at the hotel parking lots at night. like was mentioned before, if you have a specific questions, don't be afraid to ask. read all the threads. any where along the tour, just go up and start talking to someone 'cause they'll talk back. you are in for a great time.
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Welcome Phoneguy, as has been already mentioned, ask questions, on our third PT we got hooked up with these Freaks, we had the most fun ever since. Good people here, friends made from a weeks roadtrip.....and remember the new guy buys!!!
                    200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                    Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Originally posted by 200WINS
                      Welcome Phoneguy, as has been already mentioned, ask questions, on our third PT we got hooked up with these Freaks, we had the most fun ever since. Good people here, friends made from a weeks roadtrip.....and remember the new guy buys!!!
                      you're not suppose to tell him that till after we real him in ;D
                      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra
                        Originally posted by 200WINS
                        you're not suppose to tell him that till after we real him in ;D
                        Oh crap.......Sorry, I'm such a dumbass sometimes :-[
                        200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                        Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Well,at least you didn't tell him it was diner.. :o
                          I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate all the help. I lucked out for 2011 since cocoa is only an 1 1/2 hours away from home. I was planning on my dad to go with me but he may be busy that week so I may be solo. I'm trying to convince my wife she will be ok to leave our son for a week with gma. Also I would like to take the Malibu but I'm really nervous about going across country with a unproven car with no creature comforts.

Comment

Welcome! Be comfortable with whatever you choose to drive. We are planning on our 8th LongHaul tm and it just keeps getting better. Read Cobra's 1st post and you've got it. One idea for luring the wife is to get Gma hooked with the idea she gets the grandkid to herself for a week and she will provide wifey with encouragement. works most of the time, unless the kid is Bart Simpson.
                              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

Working...
                              X