Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generating donations for cancer research

Hey everybody!
    I had an idea about raising money for cancer research. As you all know, we have several BS'ers who have lost family members to cancer, and also several who have family members who are now battling the disease. I would love to raise some money to donate to research, so I have come up with the following idea. Let me know what you think, as it would involve getting help from a lot of you!

Some of you already know that I do commercial embroidery. I was thinking of making a quilt of a lot of different cars, and raffling it off during the power tour, and donating the proceeds to cancer research. I am willing to donate my time and materials, and I am not looking to get any profit out of this. ALL the money raised would go directly to research. I would need help selling tickets (that's where you guys come in!)
    I also considered the fact that some people may not want a quilt with cars, so I thought about also doing a second quilt made of logos cut out of t-shirts. I would need everyone who is willing to help to donate a previous power tour or car-related t-shirt (nothing naughty or offensive!) to make this. You could even sign your name on the design with a permanent marker, if you like.

I need some feedback to see if this is even a good idea. And if I do go ahead with this, I would need people to start sending me shirts asap, so I can get started.

I still have a few bugs to work out, such as how much to charge for tickets, etc. And I would like a third party to actually keep track of the money (maybe Chad if he is willing) so there would be no question about where it was going.

Please post back and let me know what you think about this idea. I have already bounced it off a couple of BS'ers and the response was overwhelmingly positive!! I need to know if I should go ahead with it, and how many of you are willing to help. It will only involve a little of your time, and maybe an old t-shirt!!

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!!
    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Re: Generating donations for cancer research

Teri, this is a wonderful idea and yes there are bugs to work out. The biggest one would be the rules and regs of each stop in order to sell raffle tickets. While raffles are a great way to raise money, they are heavily regulated. :P If anyone else has an idea, please speak up.

On a side note, I have lots of old car show shirts and would have no problem cutting one up for a quilt! ;) (Ken on the other hand, probably not they are sacred. ) ;D

Let's toss this around freaks and see if we can make it work! We all know someone that's been touched by cancer and this would be a great way for us to show some support by giving a donation.

Linda 8)

Comment

I've got some I'll kick in....cars, trucks, GoodGuys....whatever you want.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by 1cheapstreet
        Teri, this is a wonderful idea and yes there are bugs to work out. The biggest one would be the rules and regs of each stop in order to sell raffle tickets. While raffles are a great way to raise money, they are heavily regulated. :P If anyone else has an idea, please speak up.

On a side note, I have lots of old car show shirts and would have no problem cutting one up for a quilt! ;) (Ken on the other hand, probably not they are sacred. ) ;D

Let's toss this around freaks and see if we can make it work! We all know someone that's been touched by cancer and this would be a great way for us to show some support by giving a donation.

Linda 8)
        Linda,
        According to our local regs, raffles need a permit, but if you call it a donation in exchange for a chance to win something, there is no permit needed and it is not a problem. Maybe we should research the local laws of each city/county PT will be in?
        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr
          I've got some I'll kick in....cars, trucks, GoodGuys....whatever you want.
          Sounds great, Ed!! Will keep it in mind if this works out!

Comment

if I had money, for every member of my family, and for other friends and co-workers, that have/had/died of cancer, I would be a rich man....I will certainly support this effort....rexx

Comment

If this is done at any of the venues, we should get Hot Rod's blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon
                If this is done at any of the venues, we should get Hot Rod's blessing.
                I agree....you might even get a plug or two at each stop like the 'other' LHG sticker guy does.....
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Great Idea! Several people in our group are involved in local Cancer fund raising activities and I'm sure they would be happy to help out with this one. Several of wifes are also quilters so if you need some help with the quilt like making some "blocks" of something let me know. Our group is getting together this Sunday for a short drive. I will pass along the word about this idea.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas so far!! Will contact Chad and Frieburger to make sure it would be ok to do this at the venues. If they would rather we didn't do it at the venues, I can carry the quilt with me and make hotel rounds!!

Comment

Originally posted by SSFAN
                      Great Idea! Several people in our group are involved in local Cancer fund raising activities and I'm sure they would be happy to help out with this one. Several of wifes are also quilters so if you need some help with the quilt like making some "blocks" of something let me know. Our group is getting together this Sunday for a short drive. I will pass along the word about this idea.

Mike
                      Mike, thanks so much for your input! Do any of the wives do the actual hand-quilting? That's mainly what I'm going to need help with. I can assemble the quilts but will need someone to quilt them. Would they be interested?

Comment

Having lost my first wife and Mom to cancer I think this is a great idea and would help in any way I could......

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                        1966 Plymouth Fury III
                        2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                        Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                        Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Terri i am in of course.

I will have my mom run through dads old stuff and see if there are any more shirts that i haven't already got that could help you out.

Maybe we can get Ridetech or someone to let us hang the quilt at each stop from there bus...and we can have someone volunteer for each stop just hang in the Forum Freak area ( if there is one again) selling tickets.

I will get back to you in a couple of days with what i can send.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!
                          Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Terri,I'm a cancer survivor, so you can count on me supporting you on this..
                            I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by 442copilot70
                              Terri i am in of course.

I will have my mom run through dads old stuff and see if there are any more shirts that i haven't already got that could help you out.

Maybe we can get Ridetech or someone to let us hang the quilt at each stop from there bus...and we can have someone volunteer for each stop just hang in the Forum Freak area ( if there is one again) selling tickets.

I will get back to you in a couple of days with what i can send.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!
                              Scott, I actually got this idea back in the summer after I heard your dad passed away. So if you could send me a shirt or two of his, that would be totally awesome!!!
                              I also had the idea about Ride-Tech displaying the quilt. (Great minds think alike!) And I had also thought about getting some of the Freaks to volunteer to sell tickets, maybe everybody volunteer for 1/2 hour or so at a time. That way nobody is stuck doing it for long at a time, cause everybody wants to walk around and look at each venue.

If everybody could send a shirt from a cancer victim or survivor (if you have one in your family), I could even embroider their name on the quilt square that was made from their shirt. That would make it even more special.

I think with everybody's input and help, this can be an awesome project!

Comment

Working...
                              X