Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember the Dodge Daytona Turbo from the mid 80's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drove one of those a bunch... I was 15 and had a girlfriend with a driver's license... lots of lag and torque steer. The car was fun though.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
      The Conquest TSI was a better car.
      yup. turbo 4 and rear drive

Comment

Tried to buy one a few times when I was in high school. One had the 3.0 in it, I don't know why, but my dad wouldn't let me buy it. Another was a Shelby Z that was sold before I was able to go look at it. I'm sure there were more, but I still want one. Back then they were just another 10-15 year old car though.

Edit: I've also seen a few RWD V8 versions, probably pretty quick with how light they were.
        Last edited by moparmaniac07; March 11, 2014, 07:11 PM.

Comment

This guy won a couple of races in them....... Click image for larger version

Name:	DarrylAldermanHeartlandNatsVPPhoto9.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	916997
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            This guy won a couple of races in them....... [ATTACH=CONFIG]n916997[/ATTACH]
            or was it the coke

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post

or was it the coke
              GREAT STUFF for reaction times!
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

One of those cars that I wonder what a modern efi, ecm, and turbo could do to make one better.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  One of those cars that I wonder what a modern efi, ecm, and turbo could do to make one better.
                  turn left even harder

Comment

I had an 87 Daytona Turbo Z for about 5 years. It was an awesome car for me. The turbo 4 was great on the interstate and got pretty good mileage too. When I moved the hatch held everything I wanted to carry and I had to go looking for more. When it started breaking every other week I traded it in for an AWD Diamondstar turbo car.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      The biggest upgrade besides the turbo is that you can get the 2.4 DOHC head on the stock block for much better breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer View Post

The biggest upgrade besides the turbo is that you can get the 2.4 DOHC head on the stock block for much better breathing.
                        what 2.4 head as those years 2.4's where misu's

Comment

Wrong wheel drive. I have nothing good to say.......bla bla bla.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

As much as I hate the "forced march" to wrong wheel drive and how Iacocca's "New Chrysler" K-Car regime wasted most of the 1980s from a sporting standpoint (Viper prototype and a Shelby or two being perhaps the exceptions), the turbo Mopars are sort of fun . . . and they can be modified to be blazingly quick (for an FWD, that is).

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                              As much as I hate the "forced march" to wrong wheel drive and how Iacocca's "New Chrysler" K-Car regime wasted most of the 1980s from a sporting standpoint (Viper prototype and a Shelby or two being perhaps the exceptions), the turbo Mopars are sort of fun . . . and they can be modified to be blazingly quick (for an FWD, that is).
                              If Iacocca didn't go one car platform mopar would've died.. mopar had nothing useful for hot cars.. that wasn't a 60's throwback.. or the loved by blue hairs boxy (downsized) full sized..
                              they NEEDED that K-CAR in the worst way.. they also took government loans.. and I'm sure they had some say on what should be the "basic" of the bring it back from the dead.. and that be small high mpg cars.. on a platform that can be made into a tiny car (Omni), a grandma basic car (k-car), the more upscale grandma car (k-car,lebaron), sporty car, 2 door lebaron, and the hated wagon killer the minivan.. it was genius.
                              The turbo tech wasn't there, but they said f, it. and went with it anyways..
                              I did more of my share of warranty turbo replacements.. but the cars went like stink.. as long as you kept your BOTH hands on the wheel.. and the direct connection parts dept.. backed them with huge parts list to make them even faster... something buick NEVER DID.. other than the part for the busch nascar guys..
                              they brought the conquest (misu) rear drive turbo 4 banger over for those that would not drive a front drive car..
                              did they all rattle, yup.. but so did every ford/gm/Toyota/Honda . back then.. but they for the most part were cheaper than the same thing (trim level) as the other guys for a lot less..
                              the lebaron convert being one of the silly priced ones.. but we could not keep them on the showroom floor.. the k car looking one or the sporty coupe type..
                              Car guys hated the new mopar.. but they also where not buying them either.. or the company would not have been going south for years.. no matter how much car guys complained then and complain about todays models.. they tend to NOT be the ones that put their money where their mouth is.. so why cater to a group that's not buying new cars anyways..
                              g.m. learnt this with the GTO.. the car guys asked/begged/screamed REAR DRIVE CAR THE SIZE OF THE MONTE CARLO BEING BUILT IN 2002
                              g.m. DID WHAT THEY COULD THE FASTEST THEY COULD.. took the holden and made a car for the "we build excitement" dept.. it was huge step in interior quality over anything g.m. had in years.. it was fast, looked like a Pontiac, wasn't to bloated. and smoked almost everything else out there that the American muscle car guy would want.. IT got back lash.. cost to much (a 2002 t/a ws6 was more) it didn't look like a 1966 gto or a 70 judge.. looked to much like a G/P from the nose and a chevy cavalier from the rear.. sadly the Pontiac crowd for got that the 64-74 GTO's looked like every other Pontiac on the lot from the nose..
                              so ,no one is going to fully go by the car guys wants.. g.m. even tried again with the g8.. everything the 94-96 impala was and more.. people bitched.. then cried until they brought it back as the 2013 chevy SS.. and people still bitch...
                              no oem is going to bother with what we say anymore. they've been burnt tomany times.. the new mustang is like it is. because REAL buyers didn't want a copy of the 68 anymore..
                              tomany car guys don't take into account what the e.p.a./highway safety/and everything else has done to tie the hands of the oem's... imagine what todays mustang/charger/challenger/Camaro/chevy SS could run if not so bloated that they are the weight of a full sized boat..
                              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; March 12, 2014, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Well said!
                                I liked the GLH more than the Daytona, but under the skin, same car.
                                When I was in the market for a fun car in 2004, I went with the GLH's grandson the SRT-4

Comment

Working...
                                X