• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best nutsert tool?

Or Rivnut, or Rivet nut, or Threaded insert tool

quality is important
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I've used the sliding-taper tools, they are a limited use tool. Good for about one car. I'm not a fan and will use something else from here on.
    I'm still learning

Comment

Mine looks simular to this, got it at Copper State Nut and Bolt, works like a charm.

The Green Machine.
      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

The one posted by BigAl looks fine for small inserts. If you have a lot of inserts to do, I would seriously look at a hydraulic tool. The one we use at work does a great job, especially on the larger size inserts. I don't know if it is the "best" one out there, but it is a quality tool. I would have to look what brand it is, but I think it came from the fastenal company
        FKA Redragtop
        (formerly known as)

Comment

good point - what size inserts?
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
            The one posted by BigAl looks fine for small inserts. If you have a lot of inserts to do, I would seriously look at a hydraulic tool. The one we use at work does a great job, especially on the larger size inserts. I don't know if it is the "best" one out there, but it is a quality tool. I would have to look what brand it is, but I think it came from the fastenal company
            Marson

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            good point - what size inserts?
            no larger than 5/16 - any larger than that, and I'll weld it in.

the company that makes nutsert has 3 types of nutserts - thin sheet metal, ribbed, and thick metal... the only uses I have for nutserts is the thin sheet metal ones

Comment

These things are bad ass. We use one for installing clinch nuts in steel cabinets we build and sell. They can whip out a crapload of work in a very short time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sioux.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	875295

Click the link above. We purchased our Sioux clinch nut tool from a company named Deco, but I am sure they are available through other distributors.
              Last edited by Ron Ward; January 7, 2014, 07:41 AM.
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                These things are bad ass. We use one for installing clinch nuts in steel cabinets we build and sell. They can whip out a crapload of work in a very short time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27939[/ATTACH]

Click the link above. We purchased our Sioux clinch nut tool from a company named Deco, but I am sure they are available through other distributors.
                those are awesome - but at nearly $600.00, ummm

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  Yeah... kinda steep, unless you are going to install 5-600 clinch nuts per day.
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Ya I think the word "clinch" says it all.
                    The Green Machine.
                    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      Try looking at a Huck brand model HK-150N hydraulic. They are part of the Alcoa Fastener System. It does up to 3/8" inserts and regular rivets. I think it is about half the price (still steep) but works great. I wouldn't want to use it for production work all day long(it is hand operated), but does an awesome job
                      FKA Redragtop
                      (formerly known as)

Comment

I have the complete nutsert tool set, it does up thru 5/16ths i believe and comes with this contraption handle device that looks about like one of those valve adjusting tools that has a T handle allen wrench going thru the middle of a box wrench. The problem with it is holding the nutsert tight & true against the work piece. I found it best to just use the die in a box wrench and then an allen wrench to draw up the nutsert. It would be very easy to make, you could almost use a regular nut in place of the die. I don't do production work and use them mostly on the racecar firewalls. I also bought some nuts that you press into the metal with an arbor press, i have yet to use any because they didn't come with instructions for proper hole size.
                        A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

Working...
                        X