Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Drag Video: Mickey Thompson and Danny Ongais On Nitro in 1969

Re: Historic Drag Video: Mickey Thompson and Danny Ongais On Nitro in 1969

I saw this car and the Mickey Thompson Red car run at Detroit - amazing. Seems like there was a third car, too - maybe white? Anyone remember the other drivers?

Dan

Comment

I remember the sound of early Funny Cars from record that came with a model of Gas Ronda's FC. It was square and cardboard.

Comment

I remember the sound of early Funny Cars from record that came with a model of Gas Ronda's FC. It was square and cardboard.
        A friend of mine had one, too.
        We used it on a novelty musical recording once ("Food Buddy", by The Judges) as the sound of a car going through a drive-in restaurant.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I saw this car and the Mickey Thompson Red car run at Detroit - amazing. Seems like there was a third car, too - maybe white? Anyone remember the other drivers?
          Didn't Pat Foster drive the red M/T funny car?
          And didn't the white one have a monocoque frame instead of a tubing chassis?
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

stuck in the past ?:0

Comment

Re: Historic Drag Video

Oh man, tell me that flopper pitching sideways in the traps didn't make your heart flutter a little!
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

There were only the two M/T Mustang Funny Cars in 1969: the blue Ongais-driven car and the red Pat Foster-driven car, both built by Foster. No white car, although I remember photos of thone of the cars in white gel-coat during early shakedown runs at Lions or OCIR. The monocoque car wasn't built until 1970 and was painted blue, white and gold.

This video is interesting as it appears to be a promo piece put together by or for the old AHRA. While much of the footage is from Bristol, TN, there's also clips from Tulsa, OK (identifiable by the tower and the wide open fields visable past the finish line). Footage of Ongais is also a mix of Bristol and Tulsa, pieced together for the burnout, the dry hop, the actual run and shutdown sequences. Note that the Halibrand rear wheels are polished in one shot and then unpolished in the next. Also note that when the tree comes down the engine sound changes from the idling fuel motor to a revving normally aspirated engine, which is also the sound you hear during the run and shutdown.

Pretty hokey but overall not bad for the time . . .

Comment

That was awesome,thanks for posting Brian... ;)
                  We were at the '69 Bristol race with the AA/GD,still has the event sticker on the body panels...

Comment

Working...
                  X