Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR's Chase Apparently Chasing Away Fans

Re: NASCAR's Chase Apparently Chasing Away Fans

Its not surprising since the second the chase starts 99% of the coverage revolves around the drivers in the Chase. The other 31 drivers are effectively ignored. Many people watch the race to see how their favorite driver and if ESPN/ABC ignores that driver unless they crash, they tune out.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I've disliked the idea of the chase since its inception.

To me, a driver that accumulates the most points over the entire season should win the championship, period.
      With the Chase, which ever driver has the best "end" of the season wins.
      A driver in contention for the championship could have two or three dismal races at the end of the season... the old way, it may not have mattered - he may have still accumulated more points over the year than anyone else. The new way; if a chase driver has two or three dismal races he doesn't have a chance - his success early in the season doesn't matter.

Comment

I believe this has been predicted here several times in the past. Now it comes to fruition.

Comment

Football has started, of course they are getting clobbered.

They need to run Friday nights, although there are high school football games I'd rather watch.

The Chase's whole reason for being was to sustain interest in NASCAR during the football season, guess what, it doesn't work.

Comment

nascar lost me after the '02 season, the only thing I'm interested in watching is how far they fall. This is what the bastards get for ruining the sport I loved for 30 years. >
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I expected to find it on ABC, but instead all but one race will be on ESPN. Seeing how I don't bother with "pay" TV and my growing lack of interest in NASCAR anyway, I won't be missing much. I've avoided watching the Lions for 12 years, maybe it's time to watch them again.

Comment

we said this the first year..
                the old points system let everyone play, everyone had a chance, maybe not to be champ. but to go from 15Th in points to 4Th.. the year end payout for 4Th is alot better than the payout of 11Th..
                and even if you finished better than all the chase drivers at all the chase races, 11Th is all you get for it..
                if they made it the old system then after the last race, the top 12 have a race shoot out.. the "chase" or whatever that be fine..
                they took 31+ cars and fans out of the picture nevermind the ones spending the money on the cars..
                the chase and the multi car teams have killed it..
                loose the chase and go back to 2 car teams per owner and no more 4 car teams owners..
                or better yet one team per owner, so they have to put all the marbles into that team unlike now..
                multi car teams started after nascar limited the amount of testing a team could do.
                drop the multi teams and let them test all they want..
                all they've done is push the haves farther forward than the have not..
                something the limited testing was supposed to close

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  Its not surprising since the second the chase starts 99% of the coverage revolves around the drivers in the Chase. The other 31 drivers are effectively ignored. Many people watch the race to see how their favorite driver and if ESPN/ABC ignores that driver unless they crash, they tune out.
                  And it is doubly bad that one of those to be ignored drivers(Jr.) happens to be the most popular driver in the sport!

Comment

They can ram the chase and cot right up there asses. NHRA do the same with count down. I will be watching F1

Comment

Four words: stock cars on dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by chryco63
                        A.k.a ARCA twice a year

Comment

Originally posted by chryco63
                          Do want.

NASCAR started to lose me with restrictor plates. Once it became a gestapo police state and I couldn't watch Tony Stewart or Kevin Harvick punch anyone my interest dropped further. Then they started in with b.s. debris cautions and crap like that to bunch the field up and the whole "car of tomorrow" thing and I dropped it all together.

I used to tune in Thursday nights for qualifying, Saturday for the Busch race and Sunday for the Cup race. Now I go to Loudon once a year with my dad so that we can spend some father/son time together. He still really enjoys it, but I'm only in it to spend time with my old man.

NASCAR was fun for a long time. Even after they got all high dollar and the barriers to entry became other-worldly in the 1980's, you could still watch DW mouth off and Earnhardt bang fenders. I remember going to Bristol back when the bottom 20 rows were still concrete steps in the side of a hill and people threw all of their beer cans down to the bottom so you had to shuffle out, knee deep in the empties. Those were the days when Earnhardt would beat the fenders off of someone's car to win (I remember him dumping Terry Labonte on the last lap to win one time). I loved watching that stuff.

Going to a race at Loudon today means spending $100 in fuel and tolls, $40 on food, $90 for a ticket and being bored to tears for the first 250 laps of a 300 lap race. In the last 8 years or so, I've branched out and started to watch or attend as many different forms of motorsport as I can (WRC, drag racing, local circle track, F1, etc).

Comment

Funny thing the ratings are down, it was not even shown live in Canada. TSN (the Canadian sports network) who will normally have the race live, did not. Instead they showed Darts and Poker. Hmmmmm. I guess that is where the advertising money is.

Comment

NASCAR has become SO boring. Now I hope the SPEED channel will wake up to this and start showing more diverse programming like they used to. World Rally, nostalgia drags, Pikes Peak and similar hill climbs. The current line up of NASCAR and continuous repeats of PINKS and that boring tow truck show. COME ON SPEED CHANNEL! I pay extra to have you in my cable package and you're delivering CRAP!

Comment

Working...
                              X