Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killer Gallery: Up Close and Personal with the Internet Famous 24V71 Detroit Diesel of Big Mike Harrah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Gallery: Up Close and Personal with the Internet Famous 24V71 Detroit Diesel of Big Mike Harrah

Re: Killer Gallery: Up Close and Personal with the Internet Famous 24V71 Detroit Diesel of Big Mike

I think I'll have to disagree with the statement that the blowers won't work. The belt drives do appear to be separated in their own plenum and the "windows" in the side of the blower plenum box appear to have spring mounted plates capping them off like pop-off valves. It would definitely be interesting to see a video of this monster fired up.

Comment

Re: Killer Gallery: Up Close and Personal with the Internet Famous 24V71 Detroit Diesel of Big Mike

On that turbo engine, it looks to me like just 4 turbos, the normal blowers/turbos that would be on individual 6V71T's (24V71 is essentially 4 6V's bolted together). Looks like they also have pipes on the intake side of the turbo compressors pointed upward to match the outlet pipes from the turbines. Looks impressive, but 4 of those big chrome pipes would be suckin' air, not blowin' smoke!

I've got the factory manuals for these 12V and 24V engines 8)

Comment

Fire, look at the bottom of the dividers between the "bulkheads" in the manifold. I agree, there are burst plates on the sides, but in the middle of the actual manifold there are openings. The sections are not sealed from one another.

I'm just guessing, so there's an excellent chance I am wrong.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
          Fire, look at the bottom of the dividers between the "bulkheads" in the manifold. I agree, there are burst plates on the sides, but in the middle of the actual manifold there are openings. The sections are not sealed from one another.

I'm just guessing, so there's an excellent chance I am wrong.
          Looks to me like they "could" seal those up w/ a channel across the bottom of the open sections, maybe they haven't got around to it yet?

Comment

It is a runner....

This is our 24 cylinder Detroit that we are putting in a custom 359 Peterbilt. It will use an Allison Transmission, and the engine will be in the front of th...

Comment

Oh yeah, one other thing, after watching the video.

All those blowers and not one sqeak or hint of whine? ???

Comment

Unless there is extra fabrication in the plenum, I think Brian's correct. What's shown in the fab pictures would lead you to believe that the blowers are active but that you have a big leak at the drive belt. But if you have that big a leak, why would you need burst panels.

I don't think we quite know how they are sealing this bad boy.

Comment

I'm wondering how they might get a backfire? Are they adding fuel up top somewhere? With that much plenum volume, i doubt there would be enough pop-off area to be effective if there was fuel present.

Comment

If the motor runs, the blowers are active. A 2-stroke Detroit won't run without a blower...
                    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

When I worked in the Forest Industry here in Western Canada a number of years ago, much of our equipment was powered by the *-54 series, *-71series and *-92 series engines. (The code is easy to decipher by the way 6-71 = 6 cylinder 71 cubic inch per, 4-54 = 4 cylinder 54 cubic inch per etc the "v" means a v-configuration as in 16v-92) The tower yarder I worked with, a machine used to haul huge logs from the hillside to the roadside, had a 12v-71 of about 400hp. Most of our log hauling trucks had the same engine, but with twin turbos and bigger injectors made 600hp with automatic transmissions (4-speed Allison with torque converters). Some of the Log Loaders had TWO 6v-92 engines in them, one for the machine and the second for the undercarriage, so you could drive it from place to place. The 40 foot tug which towed our bundled logs to market was basically a floating engine-room, it had a 16v-92 making about 900hp, but rarely if ever ran wide open. It could burn 50 gallons of fuel per hour at full song, so it was prevented from singing too loudly. The piston, valves, sleeves, bearings etc from any *-71 engine will fit any other *-71 engine, the 92 fits the 92. They are rated for power by injector size and turbo etc.

All these engines are two stroke diesels. They need a positive displacement blower in order to run. Air is blown into passages in the block, and as each piston clears a set of slots in it's bore at the bottom half of the stroke, the exhaust valves (4) open in the head, while fresh air passes thru the slots pushing the exhaust out. Turbo chargers can be used to increase efficiency, and I've seen as many as a pair on a single v type engine, or singles of the appropriate size on the smaller straight engines. Diesel engines are directly injected and cannot be made to run (for long) by adding extra fuel to the inbound air-stream (except propane in short bursts.)

So, and my point is, to see this thing running with a huge fake blower setup, with fuel injection throttle bodies no less, is .... Unfortunate in the extreme. This is the sort of engine that will make 13 year old boys OOhhh and AAhhh at the truck show, but nothing above the level if the cylinder-head tops will actually give the thing any more power. The REAL blowers, which are impressive enough of themselves, are located in this engine between the cylinder banks, and are covered up by the tin-work needed to support the obviously non-working blowers. They are gear driven off the same gear train that drives the camshaft. This setup appears to be a total of NINE blowers driven off a shaft which runs above the engine and and this shaft then driven by the crank by a SINGLE standard blower belt. if that belt were actually driving all those blowers, and not just dummies, that single blower belt would shred at the first rev.

Come on people. If you removed all the chrome polished crap from that engine, it would still run, still make all the power it's supposed to and still be as impressive as it is now. This thing is to the spirit of bangshift what a clown car is to the spirit of motor-sport. Embarrassing. Sorry to be so negative, but I HATE obviously fake stuff, especially when the reality of a 24v-71 is impressive enough as it stands. This guy could have spent all this money on something innovative instead of this mess.

Here's a few pix of equipment that actually uses some of the engines I have described, including a photo of the tugboat.

And a pic of the 16v-149 800hp at 1800 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                        If the motor runs, the blowers are active. A 2-stroke Detroit won't run without a blower...
                        The factory blowers are still in place. It is the jewelery on top that is suspicious.

Comment

The comments on the photos point it out clearly.

The boost would quickly leak past where the belts go through the box the blowers are bolted too.

I definately give the guy props for spinning them up rather than a fixed Mad Max blower!

This picture clearly shows the stock blowers in place at the bottom of the upper blowers box. They appear to be geardriven, neat.

I have a soft spot for commercial diesel engines. Loaded up hard, with a lot of time at WOT. Marine engines and I think about our Haul truck's. 96 liter V16's with 4 turbo's, cranking out ~2500HP at WOT for 10-15 minutes at a time. That's burning some fuel!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                            The comments on the photos point it out clearly.

The boost would quickly leak past where the belts go through the box the blowers are bolted too.

I definately give the guy props for spinning them up rather than a fixed Mad Max blower!

This picture clearly shows the stock blowers in place at the bottom of the upper blowers box. They appear to be geardriven, neat.

I have a soft spot for commercial diesel engines. Loaded up hard, with a lot of time at WOT. Marine engines and I think about our Haul truck's. 96 liter V16's with 4 turbo's, cranking out ~2500HP at WOT for 10-15 minutes at a time. That's burning some fuel!
                            Unless the box is for purely cosmetic reasons and the boost is well contained underneath. I can't imagine these guys spending all of the time, effort and $ it took to get this beast to this point and NOT having this aspect sussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman
                              Unless the box is for purely cosmetic reasons and the boost is well contained underneath. I can't imagine these guys spending all of the time, effort and $ it took to get this beast to this point and NOT having this aspect sussed.
                              Unless there was a substantial change from this picture, the box just houses the jack shaft and supports the upper blowers. There would have to be sealed plumbing around the jack shaft.

Also looking at it, it's going to be tough to filter the air going in unless there are filters to drop right on the OE supercharger intakes.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X