Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice for putting a boat trailer on a car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

how much is the ticket if you get caught?
    how much is the ticket if they catch you swapping plates onto the boat trailer from the car trailer for the one-time move?
    a) 193.00 - I think mine was like 26.00 dismissal with court costs on my car trailer last year or so after proving I put new tags on it within 10 days of the ticket.
    b) Basically, if you get caught, you have falsified an affidavit. Felony. No thanks.

In addition to not wanting to spend the 60.00 to register it, I don't feel like repacking the hubs. I'm not sure my car trailer tags don't say tandem on the registration, this is a single axle boat trailer.
    Last edited by Beagle; January 26, 2015, 07:47 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

how much is a "you lost your load" ticket?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

dunno. Never had one move off the trailer. I've had one go through the floor (oops) but never off the sides. I've got a bunch of 3" straps, it shouldn't go anywhere once it's strapped down. Boat has it's own tie downs , bow hook and stern straps.
        Last edited by Beagle; January 26, 2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

How big is the boat? How far do you have to go with it?

Comment

Yea - how big and heavy is the boat and what's your plan with it....
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Amazing deals on this 600Lb Trailer Dolly at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Option?

Comment

Boatyards nearby you could borrow a trailer? Or a marina where somebody has their boat moored?

Comment

I guess I'm just lucky and I'm sure that will run out one of these days, I've never been busted for moving plates around or even towing with expired plates, I have too many trailers but I think that comes from forgetting to sell one when I buy a replacement. The $60 for a light weight trailer in Texas is surprising, we live in the "broke" State of Illinois and class A plates are only $18 here.
                  sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Post a photo of each trailer. I can make this happen in minutes I'm sure. I've done much much worse.
                    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy View Post
                      I guess I'm just lucky and I'm sure that will run out one of these days, I've never been busted for moving plates around or even towing with expired plates, I have too many trailers but I think that comes from forgetting to sell one when I buy a replacement. The $60 for a light weight trailer in Texas is surprising, we live in the "broke" State of Illinois and class A plates are only $18 here.
                      Rick Perry.

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
                        Post a photo of each trailer. I can make this happen in minutes I'm sure. I've done much much worse.
                        not surprising!

I nutted up and did the wheel bearings, getting tires for the trailer later. i miscounted trailers and have another one the new tires will be good for. I may try pulling it down at crack of dawn when they have other problems to worry about, it's about 90 miles. Worst case scenario is I have to tag one of them and it costs me a case of beer for court costs. There aren't serial numbers on these trailers, or titles for that matter under 4000 pounds, so any tag will work for a dismissal. The court clerks aren't worried about axles, just that you bought tags for something. Points to SBG for making me think about that... it would cost me the same for gas as the ticket if I have to go down to X and get the car trailer and bring it back up here.

no video. but I'll post a trailer tire later, it's a BEAUTY!
                        Last edited by Beagle; January 26, 2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                          take tag from car trailer, put tag on boat trailer - its texas not like they check them, I got a tag for a home built trailer, i swapped that tag between 4 trailers, drug 2 ofthose trailers across country 3 times, never had a issue
                          Dad used to do this so much we forgot what the plates belonged on.

TX . . . no income tax but some stout "fees" . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X