Do The Math - Tire Revolutions per Mile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do The Math - Tire Revolutions per Mile

Stude is gonna absolutely love me starting another thread. I can hear his blood pressure going up all the way out in Kansas.

When I got the cold air intake for Red, it came with a tune. Since then, Red's speedometer has been wrong. It reads 5 mph faster than Red's actually going, per the GPS. I believe the GPS. So I want to fix Red's speedometer. My theory is that the tuner guy assumed Red had 19 inch wheels instead of 18 inch wheels.

My tuner has an adjustable parameter setting for Tire Revolutions Per Mile. I'm only assuming that would be for speedo calibration, but I sure don't know why that's a setting on the tuner. Today I jacked Red up and used one of those flexible cloth measuring tapes (from Unit's sewing kit) to measure the distance around the tread of Red's tires.

His tires are 85.25 inches in circumference. And according to a value conversion program I have, there are 63,360 inches in a mile. Using an expensive $2 calculator, I came out with a value to put into the tuner. Red's tires roll around 743.23 times in the length of a mile.

We'll see if that fixed the speedometer. It might not. I've punched in all kinds of numbers playing with it, and I'm not sure that tuner even has anything to do with the speedo, but the speedo for sure was right before I got that new tune.
    Last edited by pdub; March 11, 2015, 05:45 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Here's a shortcut Pdub......

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
      Ed, by that calculator I'm pretty darned close. By microns. Close enough for government work for sure. Thanks for that link man! That's good to know. Cool stuff!

Comment

There are all kinds of "car math" sites out there. You can go thru <Landracing.com> and access a pile of different formulas to calculate almost anything from almost amything, including horsepower based on top speed. Most of them need tire diameter so you're halfway there.

I suspect you're right that the tuner folks assumed the wrong tire diameter. BTW - several places on the Interwebs (Tire Rack, for one) will give you the roll-out (essentially, what you measured +/- tire squish) for your particular tire.

Dan

Comment

I used that site a lot.
          miata .net had one too.

french wheels on the subaru, and within 1 inch of factory diameter. Took some thinking.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	tires.JPG
Views:	2768
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1015109

truck and a car tire compared, very dramatic. I am not looking back. Getting older and boring.. it is trucks for me.

Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

tire diameter in inches (D)
            Feet per rev (R) =(D*3.141)/12
            Rev per mile = (5280/R)

** R , not radius "r" - probably should have used a different variable there for clarity

The real tricky part is the measuring stick to get an accurate tire diameter since the P-metric calculator for tire diameter can often be not quite right in the real world (manufacturing differences between brands, rim width, etc. )
            Tire Diameter = ((Cross section width * aspect ratio)*2)/25.4)+Wheel Diameter

I play in Excel a lot since it's not uncommon for me to lose internet service. Add some information for final gear ratio, transmission gear ratio, and you can get really screwed up worrying about RPM drop across shifts. Haha.

Thank dog I don't worry about this kind of crap for an automatic car. Then you have to figure converter slip and when the converter locks up and it makes even more fun. BUT - think about this:

Your rubber pneumatic tire diameter will grow with speed. How much?

OH - and since this is GENERAL (and not TECH) and I can't keep myself from trashing it out...

Last edited by Beagle; March 12, 2015, 08:42 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Well, we just took Red down the highway on a joyride and it's not the tire revs in the tune that talks to the speedo. I put the "right" number in there and that didn't accomplish a thing. And discovered that the faster you go the wronger the speedo gets. At 35 mph the speedo reads 40. At 70 it reads 80. Which makes me think that at 140 it would read 160, except for 140 is as far as the speedo goes. I'm completely sure I don't have a clue about what's going on with it.

Comment

peedub.... check this....

Fast forward to the 2:00 mark
                Last edited by Ron Ward; March 12, 2015, 02:15 PM.
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

It turns out, .....now I'm now in an email dialogue with the tuning folks.

Gosh, I wish I knew a frog's hair about any of this stuff. It's the rear end ratio, and the wheel revs/mile. The revs per mile should be 770 according to them, I fixed that. The current tune has the rear end ratio at 3:31. The real ratio is 3:55. The options on my tuner are 3:31 and 3:81. Nothing in between, no way to customize it. The tuner folks, they went home for the night as they should. I've caused them plenty enough trouble already.

Comment

Gosh, I wish I knew a frog's hair about any of this stuff.
                    This is what I mean about wasted bandwidth. Of course.... at least it's about cars. (; ')
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

This is what I mean about wasted bandwidth. Of course.... at least it's about cars. (; ')
                      Well, where else do I have to go to get some real learning? Wait, don't answer that Stude. I set myself up for the answer. Peace, love, all of that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

Stude, I love you man. Sort of. For the record folks, Stude has enormous talent. He sure does, even beyond insulting me. He's good at that. He's got more. I've seen it. Don't discount Stude, don't EVER discount Stude. That man is talented. In the background and PMs and emails. Nearly amazing.

And I never thought I'd go so far as to do this on the Big Screen, and I mean no disrespect at all, never will mean any disrespect, but I have to ask....Stude, why are you so determined to never meet any of us BangShifters in person?

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          Do the Math
                          Up yours PW ... I didn't do it in school, I ain't gonna do it now !

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post

Up yours PW ... I didn't do it in school, I ain't gonna do it now !
                            Up yours too Steve! We'll see you at the Gear Head and laugh our frickin fannies off! Oh, and drive a whole lot too! Can't forget the driving part.

Comment

Stude, why are you so determined to never meet any of us BangShifters in person?
                              Well.... I'm kinda busy. Taking care of 2 parents over 80. Still have my guitar repair business (and it's on the upswing right now). Still trying to build mandocellos on the side. Officer in 2 car clubs (meetings, car shows, editing newsletters, other club business, etc.). Spare time in the veggie garden. And hanging with my many friends here.

And it's nice to know P loves me. Thank you. Really. Someday.... you and I might meet. And the world would not end.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                              X