Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTC: Does CA ban stuff just because it works???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTC: Does CA ban stuff just because it works???

So the wiper reservoir on the Genesis is getting low and I like the green or orange Rain-X stuff so I hit up the local AutoZone thinking it's a slam dunk right? Wrong, no Rain-X washer fluid. Grumbling I move on to the spray oil section and look for PB Blaster... Not there either, just some Blaster stuff that I bought cause I didn't have anything and figured it was better than WD-40, Rem-Oil, or bike chain lube for freeing rusty bolts.

Now that I'm home I look to see if Wal-Mart carries the Rain-X stuff..."We don't sell this item at Walmart within 50 miles of you." At least they carry the PB Blaster...

Seriously, What The Crap (WTC) California!!!
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Same with Deere paints..
    Member on here that drag races out of your area, son also jr dragsters had to send it out of state and pick it up..
    VOC or somedamnthing..
    PB Blaster may be the propellant used..
    Dunno why Rain X is banned.. Probably some fantasic chemical that makes it work is determined by the state of Californication to harm the enviro..

Comment

Every time you use Rain X a Polar Bear dies.....or a Panda canīt remember which...

Comment

Its all about the volatile organic compounds VOCs. Brake cleaner is only acetone here in the golden state as well. My 68 Cougar is in a fix due to the changing regulations. I painted it with old school two part , scratched it putting it back together (aRGH) not knowing that during the paint job the regulations changed the paint formulation. The new low VOC paint I bought to fix the scratch panel didn't match at all, and 3 tries later still doesn't match. Were "taking one" for the other 49 states here in CA...Click image for larger version

Name:	cougar painted 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	950.2 KB
ID:	1080630
        www.FBthrottlebodies.com
        Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Bruce - Low VOC paint might be OK but I'd say you have a special case. I suggest you "import" some appropriate paint (more of what was used originally) or take the car out of state for a touch-up. You're probably not THAT far from a state that allows the "right" paint - or maybe Mexico! If you have the manufacturer/series/color you can probably come up with a darn good match.

Dan

Comment

complete shame about paints.

it has to be Urethane, high voc.. or nothing.
            crazy as claiming aluminum is strong, after knowing it is never found on the surface of earth, near sun, water, electricity or any ph level above a So Cal armpit.

urethane is the only substance found in nature to be millions of years old...on the surface, exposed.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

California would prefer you take four extra trips around town spewing pollutants into the air trying to find material, and have whatever you do use be a complete waste when you do it all over again in a year. We went with "legit" paint on our boat trailer last summer...I'm sure the energy wasted and pollutants caused by the gallon of stripper used to remove the garbage which would never have withstood saltwater after wrinkling up and practically falling away, plus forty miles of additional driving and whatever energy the sandblaster used, didn't hurt the environment any. It's possible to find paint...the painters seem to know but they cannot have it on their books in a commercial shop. It's best to have a buddy who goes out-of-state sometimes pick up your paint for you.

California has had a serious pollution problem, particularly where old industry etc. let chemicals and petroleum products into the groundwater...when you come across an old set of Keystone mag wheels, say a prayer for a particular spot of land in the San Gabriel Valley...but they way the rules go now, it often is not particularly helpful.

Meanwhile, any day on the freeways there are millions of emissions-compliant cars all going one way while more millions of cars go the other way, all to a big net zero. Freeways that were wide-open a decade or two ago are clogged with one-passenger autos carrying people who live fifty miles away from where there is work (examples: I-15 through SD/Riverside line, the 210 through the Verdugos). That might be an issue to look at...not to tell people where to live and work, but to say that if all you do is drive around half the day, don't go thinking that 'cause you're in a Prius you're "helping" the environment any.

Comment

It is quite a conundrum... My low VOC paint job on my Dakota R/T has already started to fail 3 years down the road...The supplier I use is a global paint supplier and they will ship me the good stuff if I lived in some other state... I think its my only choice now. They used to be able to sell non VOC compliant paint to "hobby" guys like me, but the EPA came down hard on them. The color for the Cougar is Ford sunburst gold that they used on a special edition 68 Mustang.
                I went looking at new commuter cars a couple of weeks ago to replace my aged PT cruiser (260K miles). the MPG for most of the new comparables was the same as what Im already getting, about 30, unless I go hybrid. Ill just have to live at the shop more...re: CA pollution, Im still waiting for the radiation spill from the atomic rocket tests of the 50s to dissipate in Simi Valley...
                BKB
                www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                Bruce K Bridges

Comment

BKB, now you gotta deal with that natural gas leak?
                  Anywhere near you?

Comment

Originally posted by BKBridges View Post
                    They used to be able to sell non VOC compliant paint to "hobby" guys like me, but the EPA came down hard on them.
                    BKB
                    Not the Federal EPA. That's a State deal.

Dan

Comment

Well can't find the orange stuff (probably a higher methanol content and "bad") but I did find that Target carries the green stuff which is fine considering it gets to 30 or so here at a min and I do know how to use an ice scraper. Still keep getting annoyed by the level of restrictions here.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                      X