No announcement yet.

Patina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not paint on the roof. LOL But its mine.
    Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	orangu tones.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	1099642

Comment

I painted this one with Rustoleum. It is a 50 ft paint job.
      Yes I am addicted to AMCs and ramblers.

nick

Name:	Hot-Rod-Power-Tour-2010-Hot-Rod-Power-Tour.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	1099645

Comment

Fake patina is an abomination.

Well worn surfaces, properly cared for, can be beautiful.

Surfaces that require a Tetanus shot to stand next to...nah, that's just effect for effect's sake.

I've shot a few cars with single stage paint, nothing to win a show with, but completed the car.

My preference remains at keeping the original surface. Treat it liberally with Meguir's #7, and keep after it and it'll last a long time. I've got better things to spend money on than a sparkly surface.

YMMV
        I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          I really think too many are afraid of body work and paint and have gone looking for an excuse not to do it. It really ain't rocket surgery but it DOES take time and effort - but if you were afraid of that why would you mess with cars in the first place? Hey, if I can do it ANYONE can do it.

Dan
          I don't think you could be more wrong.

Here's my 2 cars. Can you guess which one is alot more fun and which one is for sale.

I've done the nice shiny thing, decent maacco type jobs and a car with natural "patina". On the right car i'll take the rust and crap paint and just have fun.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...IMG_3754-1.jpg

Comment

I've driven cars with rust and faded paint for most of my life, I can dig the idea of not spending the time and money to paint it, and definitely the idea of $30 tractor paint to make it all one color for a while, but to take a nice car and make it look weathered is plain stupid. To intentionally do great body work and then make it look weathered on anything other than a sleeper is full on clown shoes goofy.

I would have left the 68 LeMans the way it was if it didn't have different colored doors on it, faded mint green is very sleepy.

Comment

My GA us beyond patina and is in the area of clapped out lol
              Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
              Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

We have all seen the reverse of patina. The restored car with paint that is 10 times better than the original.
                For example any car shown on GRAVE YARD CARS show. Those Chrysler products from that era had just adequate paint to keep the rust off.

Nick

Comment

When I hear 'patina' I think of SRV's #1. #1 has REAL patina...

Patina...

Douchebaggery...

Faux patina is for fart smellers...

Comment

I seem to be in the minority here, but in reality I don't see that it is up to us to tell anybody else how their vehicle should look. I like the idea of surface rust being preserved and not worrying about parking lot dings. On the other end of scale if somebody wants to to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a shiny paint job that shines bright and looks so deep you feel like you could reach into it, so be it. Neither one of my Studebakers are be any means show ready. They don't have what I would call patinea. There are bits of POR15 here and there but heck I still have fun with them. Point is some like patina some don't. Some want a show car some don't. Some like something in between. One way is simply not better than another......

Comment

Don't be fooled by guitar patina, it's all done deliberately while sitting on the corner of the bed.
                      1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                      1997 Mustang GT
                      sigpic

Comment

Dan, no offense, man. I know where you're coming from, but I side with Joe on this one. Time? Hell, I have plenty of time, but I'd rather be driving my car than working on it. I'd also like to have money for food and basic necessities, like water and power. So, I drive her. The bill for the replacement sheetmetal panels alone for my car is upwards of $4400. Then, we gotta figure materials for body work, welding, paint, sealer, etc... And we haven't even started on the interior, trim, chrome, etc. I can't justify putting $20K+ into a car that will be worth $15K if and when it would be finished. Fuggit.... I'm driving it. Click image for larger version

Name:	cs1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1099850
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

also on my GA i will be pleased if i can at leat have it be one color even if that color is primer/ flat black
                          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                            Douchebaggery...

Faux patina is for fart smellers...
                            Tardis, just for to cause trouble, I don't see anything in the world with the finish on that guitar in the photo. No faux patina. My eyes can't see it, but my eyes are not so good.

Just saying. For the sole purpose of causing trouble.
                            Last edited by pdub; April 28, 2016, 04:30 PM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

Tardis, just for to cause trouble, I don't see anything in the world with the finish on that guitar in the photo. No faux patina. My eyes can't see it, but my eyes are not so good.

Just saying. For the sole purpose of causing trouble.
                              If you can't see where the finish is purposely worn off on that guitar than you best get your eyes checked..

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

If you can't see where the finish is purposely worn off on that guitar than you best get your eyes checked..

Yeah, that one is fairly obvious.... Especially when you compare it to a guitar with real patina...

Name:	tab.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1100033

For those of you who don't know, this is Tab Benoit's 1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline. Gawd.... how I wish I owned this guitar....
                                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                                X