Pics from my Dim, Dark Past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics from my Dim, Dark Past

I've mentioned several times on here how important and life-changing my association with the Sanders Family was in my teen years and I've mentioned some of the cars they built that motivated me and still do, all these years later.

So Larry and his wife Pam sent me a couple of Sanders car pics and permission to post them so here you go:

This is a Bantam Altered that they built while I was still in HS (so sometime before 1965). Pretty sure the Altered has an FE though I don't remember any details. The Econoline was made out of 2 pickups and had a 390. Larry has funny stories of dating in the Econoline (hey, you take what you have available). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1127903

And a gathering of Sanders MOPARS, I'm guessing maybe 1967 or so. I knew some of these cars from when I was in HS. Pretty sure the Sport Fury had an FE and maybe a Ford 3 speed w/overdrive but that's an old memory. It was a beautiful car and was driven mostly by Larry's twin sister IIRC (only girl out of 5 kids). Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	870.3 KB
ID:	1127904

Thought y'all might enjoy these shots. Larry has a few more in his shop including his brother's Model A street rod which set the standard for all street rods in my head from then 'till the end of time. I'll beg for more pics.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; October 19, 2016, 06:10 PM.

That's really cool stuff Dan , thanks for sharing.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

cool pics, and memory.

that chrysler, far right.. I spotted an all black sedan with that front end, I shared it here..
      just as gothic looking as that old photo to see it out loud today.
      standard shift sedan.

300 model I believe.

I run on aging memories too, in my 40s now. Never thought I would.

I wanted cragar looking wheels with the proper gm hole for my truck...
      ebay had some.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Sedan delivery Valient?
        Factory or home built? Neither way matters.. Just curious

Comment

That just might be the damn coolest racecar hauler ever!!!

Comment

Way cool,, It is so awesome how old photo's last so long..
            Dan you might not know, but why did the Sport Fury have an FE in it.. ? I'm "assuming" ( I know,I know) that that = Ford v8.

Comment

Mr. Sanders worked at Ford Engineering and often got abandoned engines that were scrapped, so lots of FE's in that era, some of the high performance variety. Four speeds were pretty scarce and expensive in that era so they'd use the tough old Ford 3 speed manuals and many of those had a rugged overdrive fitted so they'd look for those. This was a clever bunch of folks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they called these Plymouth/Ford mash-ups "Plyfords" (pronounced "PLIF ford") - there were at least 2, 1 '57 Fury that Mr. Sanders drove and the '58 Sport Fury shown in the pic.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; October 20, 2016, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Great stuff Dan - this reminds me of a neighbor we had who had some neat stuff in his garage that I found fascinating. One was a rup roadster minibike, another was some sort of IH jeep dune buggy mash up, and the funnest of all was a sort of helicopter deal that you sat in and pedaled.... I don't think it ever flew - but it made one heck of a ceiling fan.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The 3 in the back are also intriguing. Olds cutlass motorhome? Jeep Gladiator and the 6 wheel Econoline with a camper top?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown motorhome.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1128008Yeah I was looking at that motorhome too...

Comment

Working...
                    X