210ºF Is The New 180ºF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Maybe your car just doesn't like a hot day? I dunno, I'm saying I dunno.

I think you hit the proverbial nail smack on it´s head.

Comment

Well.... unless you have a big cam 15" vacuum at idle is low. Has it always been like that?
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        Well.... unless you have a big cam 15" vacuum at idle is low. Has it always been like that?
        It was hot outside. Really dang hot. We're over-analyzing.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

what does your laser temperature reader say? Your exhaust at the ports should be around 500 degrees, too hot = lean, too cold = rich. Thing about rich is it can cause overheating because the fuel continues to burn in the exhaust manifolds and it heats everything under the car - any loss of efficiency will cause overheating.

That said, that plug is pig rich at all points of the rpm range. Check for vacuum leaks, set the timing, then set the idle adjustment screws (1 1/8 turn each). Drive the car, report back.... at this point you should probably change all your plugs because likely they're fouled.

and I'm still waiting for the answer to my question to Car Craft (and fashion).
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            what does your laser temperature reader say?
            It was hot. That's what it was. Because it was hot. It's not rocket science Man.

Comment

It was hot. That's what it was. Because it was hot. It's not rocket science Man.
              but it is rocket surgery so you need lasers.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

but it is rocket surgery so you need lasers.
                I never would have believed it, I'd run Red around that track at the redline in 3rd gear for maybe 30 laps total before, but it was never that hot outside. Red got pissed off. Hot (outside) is hot. Just sayin' That's all I'm sayin is just sayin. Hot is hot. And yeah, burn your face looking at the engine hot. And the brakes were ticking as they cooled off. Tick, tick, tick.....I mean hot.

Hot is hot. Like, stay away from it hot.

Comment

Somehow this went from hot to "it's not running right BECAUSE it is hot". And lately I think EVERYTHING has vacuum leaks. One thing that seldom happens these days, the only way to know if something is REALLY running right is to race it against something that is. If it wins it is running more right than the other guy. If you never race it you will never REALLY know. The BEST diagnostic is a time slip.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                    After I installed the A/F gauge it showed I was rich, 750 Speed Demon carb.
                    Reduced the size of front jets in stages from 68 to now 62.
                    But by the look of this plug, new yesterday morning I'm still too rich.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_182851.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	988.0 KB
ID:	1207636
                    O.K., time to get cynical. If the rest of the ignition is good plug choice becomes academic, but why choose Autolite? They were on special? You just like to tempt fate?

Comment

They have worked before but I' m open to other options.
                      What do you reckon to MSD Iridium 37254 ?
                      Seen them on Summit.

Comment

I'd consider trying another carb if you've got a spare....kind of like RJR is hitting at.... maybe the butterflies aren't fully seating, or a blowout on the powervalve?
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The other carb I have is a 750 Speed Demon which I've found out is too big.
                          I can do a PV swap......got plenty of those.

Comment

I have enough once used tools.....
                            Build more cars so you can use the tools more often

Comment

They have worked before but I' m open to other options.
                              What do you reckon to MSD Iridium 37254 ?
                              Seen them on Summit.
                              so many plugs are nothing more then snake oil, that's not to say there isn't a place for some, but old motors don't develop the spark to make the extra-special-unobtainium to work properly.

Comment

I never would have believed it, I'd run Red around that track at the redline in 3rd gear for maybe 30 laps total before, but it was never that hot outside. Red got pissed off. Hot (outside) is hot. Just sayin' That's all I'm sayin is just sayin. Hot is hot. And yeah, burn your face looking at the engine hot. And the brakes were ticking as they cooled off. Tick, tick, tick.....I mean hot.

Hot is hot. Like, stay away from it hot.
                                you, of all people, should have a laser thermometer. Everything from brake temps to temperature differences across the face of the tire are things that make a huge difference between a track day and being competitive. Laser temp gauges really have upped the tuner and racer's game - you should join it. Fast is fast but winning is better.

Comment

Working...
                                X