Go Kart Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Kart Track

Here's my latest will-never-happen fantastic concept. A go kart track. High banked dirt fun.

Not for the public at all, but for MY go kart. I haven't at all even run this by the Crew Chief yet. It'll never fly, but.....it would only take about an acre of land. Hire/pay a dozer operator, sculpt the thing like Daytona, with tremendously shorter straightaways and maybe even a little trioval area to amplify the inherent risk. I'd have to get a Bobcat or something to smooth it all out after every rainstorm.

I'll need to learn small engines, how to build them from the bottom up and how to make them go way faster than they should. So build a kart and bring it. We'll share the secret password and the secret track location via private messages. Coolers are strongly encouraged, and as always the owner of the track is in no way responsible for damage or injuries to the participants at any time. On the other hand, I won't make anybody sign a waiver saying that if you damage the track you have to pay for the damages to the track. How can you hurt dirt?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

First suggestion..... Mix in some dirt bikes. You can find some pretty hairy cast off MX RACE bikes cheap. If it won't WIN a race it can be had cheap because it would be DANGEROUS for children.... well, most children. Actually shifter carts too....

needs bigger tires, but....

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      First suggestion.....
      That's a great start for inspiration Rock, thanks!

The first and only time I ever saw a shifter kart run autocross in a mall parking lot, I was blown away. Fastest time of the day by about 10 seconds on a short course. That has GOT to be a mortal blast to sit on one of those things.

Take that, and some high banked dirt curves......There's lots of country around here, some of it is for sale. An acre. I say that because the place we had in SC was 9/10 of an acre. That's enough room right there without getting greedy. Just somewhere to run.

Comment

Of Course... I REassert. Driveway Austin *IS* a go-cart track, for real cars... Real RED cars.

Driveway Austin is a world-class motorsports training facility and race track venue. Join us for our racing and tactical driving classes, Time Attacks and Sunday afternoon highspeed gokart racing! We are also highly sought after as a​ premier film location and setting for corporate events in Austin.

Dream BIG!
        Last edited by RockJustRock; July 8, 2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

MMMmmmmm..... shifter carts with Garden Tractor tires..... What could go wrong?

Comment

Comment

What's that thing in the middle of the steering wheel, is that their smart phone in case they get a call while they're racing or something?

Comment

Okay, put all of that on hold....it's only about an hour and 20 minutes until Travis will jump over the fountain at Caesars Palace. Get ready, turn everything off except for the TV.
                Last edited by pdub; July 8, 2018, 03:43 PM.

Comment

After a couple of hours meditation (nap), you NEED that dual engine thing. It will fit in Bubba. It can be a pit vehicle. It can be a LSR (Low Speed Racer). It is the perfect Tennessee Yard Cart stuck in Ohio. He says it is great fun at parties (so are you). It was built by a pro but not enough of one to be on the interweb, so nobody else can appreciate it's GREATNESS! It can be lowballed (0 bids) so I'd contact him before he gets depressed and pulls the ad (remember the MOAB, mother of all BBQS). The first detail is those engines though. Look up the new price on them because they might need to be replaced with motorcycle ones!

As I expected, the engines are worth more than he is asking for the kart $1200 each. Comet transmission has me thinking SNOWMOBILE belt drive. BIG power, CHEAP. Two stroke snarly, cracklin', NOISEY power!
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; July 8, 2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    I'll need to learn small engines, how to build them from the bottom up and how to make them go way faster than they should.
                    Most of the tracks around here have changed to electric, which are much easier to use and maintain .. also cleaner without exhaust and no gas or oil and they accelerate much quicker than their antiquated counterpart. Many years ago, somebody posted a video here of a Suzuki Hayabusa engine put into a Smart car, which would smoke the tires indefinitely.

Comment

Hmmmmm.....electric.....

Well, the official verdict of "Dream On" has been issued from the team headquarters so I'll just watch a whole lot of videos instead. Bluebelle's been delivered to Dyno Man, Red's going next, we don't have a shortage of scooty rides already I'm sure.
                      Last edited by pdub; July 9, 2018, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Found the old thread from July 2008 ... have a look at these vids;

Comment

It's right in front of my face, I'd just forgotten. In Dawsonville, at AMP, they have TWO road courses. One is for cars, the other is for karts. They run karts there all the time, open to the public.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kart Track.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	1208074

Comment

So, Perry, now that you're a free agent, let's meet in Dawsonville and have a rental kart race! Would that be fun or WHAT?

Comment

Working...
                            X