School me on '66 Belvederes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on '66 Belvederes....

I just saw an ad tonight for a 1966 2dr post Belvedere with a slant 6 in the local trader classifieds and was wondering if they could be made into something cool. I've been a big fan of the hardtops, and have owned a few of those, but the post thing is a different animal. Anyone built one?

Nik

Re: School me on '66 Belvederes....

I assume you mean one of these...

How much do they want for it and what kind of shape is it in?

Comment

Seems like the post cars are a bit lighter than the hardtops. or maybe they're just stiffer. depending on it's condition it could make a cool driver.

Comment

How to make a post car cool?

See Shannon's post. That's badder asser.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

post cars were the cheap model, hardtops were more expensive and better looking. So the post car will make a nice super stock clone, sleeper, or race car....it definitely needs a badass motor in it

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

can't be made into something cool, it all ready is cool

Comment

the 66 Belvedere is a very nice looking car, post or hard top...not fan of the verts tho...doesnt take much to get them looking sharp...as with old MOPARS they look best with dog dishes and steelies
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Cool cars! Relatively light, good looking and can handle a big block with just a bit of effort. The ONLY thing I don't care for about these cars is the amount of rear wheel well room. There isn't any. The 1968-1970 model B-bodies had cavernous wheel wells by comparison. With some careful measuring and creative use of a Louisville Slugger, you MIGHT be able to fit a 275/50R15 on the car on an 8" wheel. I have seen several use that size tire on a 7" cop wheel, but it looks kinda goofy with that narrow of a wheel. Minitubs and relocating the springs may prove to be a worthy upgrade.

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Post cars are lighter.Not much but.......Buy the dang thing and get going ;D

Comment

That car is just begging for one of the new Hemis....carberated of EFI, you choice, but this must happen! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
                      That car is just begging for one of the new Hemis....carberated of EFI, you choice, but this must happen! ;D

NOOOOoooooo......E-V-I-L......

there is a dude around here with a EFI 98 Hemi in his 68 RR and although it runs well..it looks like ass....and there was a shit ton on trans tunnel work that had to be done to get the AOD in it.....If you're working on a budget there are tons of 383s and 727s on craigslist....might drop 500 for both...a little tweeking and you got a nice runner.....And soon as
                      i say this a bunch of dudes are gonna start saying why go 383 if you can go 440 blah blah blah......383 is an anchor...blah blah blah,,,,I love the 383, I am on my 3rd 383 powerd car and I think they have HUGE potential and are WAY under rated....Mopar muscle pulled 350 ponies on a stock rebuild and with headers, intake carb and cam knocked down 450 or so....not bad for an anchor...and if you stroke it...man...you got a helluva little sleeper on your hands
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                        Originally posted by Shannon

NOOOOoooooo......E-V-I-L......

there is a dude around here with a EFI 98 Hemi in his 68 RR and although it runs well..it looks like ass....and there was a shit ton on trans tunnel work that had to be done to get the AOD in it.....If you're working on a budget there are tons of 383s and 727s on craigslist....might drop 500 for both...a little tweeking and you got a nice runner.....And soon as
                        i say this a bunch of dudes are gonna start saying why go 383 if you can go 440 blah blah blah......383 is an anchor...blah blah blah,,,,I love the 383, I am on my 3rd 383 powerd car and I think they have HUGE potential and are WAY under rated....Mopar muscle pulled 350 ponies on a stock rebuild and with headers, intake carb and cam knocked down 450 or so....not bad for an anchor...and if you stroke it...man...you got a helluva little sleeper on your hands
                        YES!!!!! N-I-C-E...

That's why you slap a Tremec TKO 5-speed behind it...so you don't have to butcher the tunnel. This car is MADE for that combo.

Comment

Honesty i would like to do a newer Hemi in something odd ball, like C body NY'R or Fury or Polara...I love the 66 Belvedere, I would super stock clone that f-er in a sec

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                            there is a dude around here with a EFI 98 Hemi in his 68 RR and although it runs well..it looks like ass....
                            heh....I know what car you're talking about.....and I agree with everything you said

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I like the new Hemi but somehow that just doesn't look right under that hood.

Last '66 Belvedere I worked on was my former bro-in-laws - MANY years ago (like maybe 1968 or so). Anyhow, it was a Poly 318. Nice car and fun to drive, especially after we breathed on it a bit. I remember the ride quality and handling to be pretty good for cars of those days - in other words, by todays standards it sucked, but so would all of 'em.

If it's not too rusty get it and have fun with it. Anything you do to the engine will be an improvement and you'll appreciate the car, no doubt.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X