1950's Rockabilly With Quality Vintage Drag Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950's Rockabilly With Quality Vintage Drag Racing

I never really got into hillbilly country & western twanging with some rhythm and blues thrown in for good measure, but find it intriguing that the traditional hot rodder and pin-up girl subcultures have embraced this genre as their own. An era thing before my time I guess, but I did like a couple songs by The Stray Cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      I never really got into hillbilly country & western twanging with some rhythm and blues thrown in for good measure, but find it intriguing that the traditional hot rodder and pin-up girl subcultures have embraced this genre as their own. An era thing before my time I guess, but I did like a couple songs by The Stray Cats.
      My dad was what they nicknamed greasers in the movie grease. He has said that music wasn't part of the 50's car culture. The music you'll hear on reruns of happy days was more like it.
      Very few girls dressed like pin up/go,go girls. and no where near the amount of tatt's
      Last edited by Eric; January 21, 2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

People never capture the past as it was, we only capture the parts that appeal to us. The world was a different place.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I NEVER saw a female with a tattoo - though there may have been some hidden somewhere. Most of the men with tatts were WWII vets who got them overseas or when in port if Navy - no roses and such.

Notice the lack of primer and "patina" in the movie - the primer and patina crowd are recreating a past that never was. I've said it here before - if you saw a car in primer it was because the owner was saving for paint, which it got ASAP.

I don't hate Rock-a-Billy but it's not my favorite. It was prevalent in the mid-50s, at least in SE Michigan on the early rock-format stations.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; January 21, 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I've got Hot Rod mags from the early sixties and there is'nt one ratrod in any of them.
            For any woman to have and display tattoos back would surely have been labled "slutty"....

But still....I liked the mix of music and rods.

Comment

I was 15 when I got my left ear lobe pierced...
              Oh the crap I endured from truckers, loggers and mill workers.
              Now? Everydamnthing is pierced.
              Gave a gal at a party my flannel to wear because she had points on her boobs.. Wasn't cold, pierced! (told me, not show me siiigh)
              I'll have to say that the tatting and piercing got out of hand!
              I knew a couple "proper" girls that had hidden cute tats.. One was in cleavage and the other was above her pubic mound under her belly button. Always hidden. I'm sure the tats were only to be seen while in bikinis or with lovers..

Comment

In my part of the world the 50s and 60s were pretty close to life as shown on American Graffiti...........right down to listening to Wolfman Jack on XERF, out of Del Rio, Texas late at night.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                  In my part of the world the 50s and 60s were pretty close to life as shown on American Graffiti...........right down to listening to Wolfman Jack on XERF, out of Del Rio, Texas late at night.
                  WOW Ed, in my eyes that's really neat. Super cool.

I was 2 years old when that hotrodding video was filmed. Listening to the soundtrack and watching all of it, it occurs to me I got here way too late. I'm okay with with rockabilly stuff. If I had been around back then I could have ruled playing guitar. But that's another lie, another fantasy. Because over time everybody built upon what they'd already heard, what had already been done. Two fingered guitar stuff led to three fingered guitar stuff.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I not a fan of 50's music, And it's not really the music it self. The songs and playing are great , It's the recordings, They had not yet figured out how to get that live punch, dynamic yet, when recording, So the "feel" of the song isn't the same as when it is heard played live.
                    Phil Spector at Gold Star Studios in the 1960s started moving in the correct direction, but the equipment still wasn't there for that live feel and db punch.
                    The late 60's on. they had got it down, and a studio's recording could almost have the punch of the live show. Almost.
                    I'm sure If I was around back then and that was what you had, you'd just be glad you had your own copy of the music, but because I'm younger and the studio equipment had gotten much better and recordings able to mimick that live feel, punch. the earlier recordings sound muted . but now they've gone overboard and over done it, and much of what is made today sounds muddy.
                    Now if only we could set the delorean to 1951 and have Ray Davis, cut up guitar speakers to give those 50's bands some crunch.

Comment

I've got a real problem with musicians. They can "keep" time but they can't "tell" time. I've had enough experience dealing with them in the past. I'm not a musician. I'm a "player." And a lousy one, but there's a difference in character. Apparently there are not many players in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        I've got a real problem with musicians. They can "keep" time but they can't "tell" time. I've had enough experience dealing with them in the past. I'm not a musician. I'm a "player." And a lousy one, but there's a difference in character. Apparently there are not many players in the world.
                        Meh.
                        When you rent a studio for weeks to months time is just a measurement .
                        I could blow off fans, to make sure I get to where I need to be on time. but then the fans would be mad that I blew them off.
                        double edged knife.
                        Part of the reasoning for sound checks. this gives the musicians a time to get there that is earlier than when they need to be on stage for the show.
                        Fans are awesome but they are also a black hole time sucking part of the deal. Would not trade it for nothing, but it can kill any schedule you might have had.

Kiss had the right idea. no one knew who they were. and could walk around and through their fans . without getting mauled
                        Last edited by Eric; January 22, 2019, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

Meh.
                          Okay "Eric," who ARE you? Time to come out. You know too much about everything. Absolutely everything, and that's not real.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                            You know too much about everything. Absolutely everything, and that's not real.
                            Reminds me of a movie quote I liked from Avatar; "It is hard to fill a cup that is already full" - Moat

Comment

knows...thinks he knows....what's the difference?
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X