No announcement yet.

Black Friday For Print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My balloon burst when involved with a business that advertised in magazines. When buying ads they talked getting new product announcements, articles and features promised as part of the ad package.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'm shocked!
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        My balloon burst when involved with a business that advertised in magazines. When buying ads they talked getting new product announcements, articles and features promised as part of the ad package.
        which is fine, it's hard to live a life where you don't make choices on things; however, again, looking like you're 'imparting knowledge to the peasants' is a hard sell these days..... HRM is stuck in Mad Men era, too bad, they could have been useful.

heck, I go to SEMA to be sold on new stuff, it's not a sin to sell, it's a sin to tell.

wonder what our Oklahoma lawyer thinks of all of this....
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 10, 2019, 11:21 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It occurs that another part of what went wrong involved appealing to youth. THAT is why the deception annoyed me. When I was reading HRM and CC (and SS&DI and PHR) at 15 I didn't think the advertising controlled the content like that.
          Last edited by RockJustRock; December 10, 2019, 11:27 AM.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Nothing is more entertaining then watching old folks pontificate about how to reach the youth.
            The first rule of selling is sell to the people who have money.... so what you attract kids, you want to watch funny - go to a car show and see the reaction of a 60 or 70 something pull up in a Scion (or any of the other 'youth' cars)....
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 10, 2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              what I do think is independants will pick up the slack. I really enjoy the Chevrolet mags (Super Chevy, etc), and just like the Corvette magazine, it will likely come back as an independent.

Print isn't dead, print done by TEN is dead.

What will they look like? Overland Journal. Overland Journal doesn't do time sensitive stuff, they don't care about races, Rallys, but they do care about gear, and overland travel.... and they are not cheap, but they are doing just fine in this 'world where you can't print a magazine'...

TEN magazines tell the reader what to think.
              Nailed it.

I could not agree with this more. It was a dark, dark day when corporate America took over what started as a scrappy group of individuals carving out a niche for themselves by cataloging the underworld of car culture as it unfolded.

The day TEN took over started a slow avalanche of blunders and mis-steps that could only end with TEN divesting themselves of the same asset they once courted.

But National Enquirer? THAT I did not ever see coming. What on earth do THEY want with the leftovers of those once relevent magazines?

Simple data-mining mailing lists? That's all I can imagine.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

But National Enquirer? THAT I did not ever see coming. What on earth do THEY want with the leftovers of those once relevent magazines?

National Enquirer publishes stuff people want to read, whether it's philandering politicians, celebrities, they don't care - because they publish what their readers want. You know, unlike TEN. Granted, those are lifestyle mags that they bought, but I can imagine if you like Snowboarding, you won't read about beach life in its new home....

Comment

Personally...the mags I loved for years, were the Rod and custom. Loved reading about chopped tops, and reviving archaic 60 year old mills for period hot rods and not another 350 SBC install.
                  Or Popular Hot Rodding...that magazine was my favorite. Reading about the pro-touring crowd and guys building stuff.
                  I was knocked off my chair when they featured my Torino in the issue about reader's rides, and my 2x4 stick framed driveway paint booth made the magazine in the Joe Dirt stage of my car.

I had just picked up multiple stacks of magazines as I am gradually packing my house for my cross-country move in the next month, to my new life and venture resurrecting a 65+ year old abandoned dealership into a rod and resto shop.
                  2-3 years of magazines I've never read as I was overwhelmed by 7 different subscriptions.

I realized tbh I've felt like I lost myself for a while, just working and not keeping focus on what I loved reading day in and day out. Getting sucked into elfin' Facebook instead of my car mags when stuck on the John or just relaxed on the couch.
                  I actually am looking forward to moving my collections and reading through them...before I turn some of the stuff I cherish into more of office wallpaper, inspiration and just being able to look at a mag and bench race in my head.

I am reminded, I am going to renew my Hot Rod however because, I still like the magazine.
                  Now I just need to see what other mags are out there and worth buying a sub to.

Andrew
                  1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                  2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
                  X