Yeah, but VW's Got a New One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yeah, but VW's Got a New One

Well, I rode a bicycle on the streets and highways of America, 30,000 miles in total. Downtown, country roads, highways. I rode from my doorstep to 13 states, including a trip alone from South Carolina to Utah. And I'll say now in retrospect, how stupid was that?

And I'll say real stupid. There was less traffic then, but that was a horrendous risk I was young and brave and immortal and fearless. And however you cut it, I was in the way of traffic if the traffic was only one car or truck. Trucks. Those guys are on the job, trying to work for a living and I'm in the way. Literally. Not a statement of sorts, but a fact. Best case, I'm holding them up from making a delivery. Did I think about that? Nope.

The thing that scared me the most was rental trucks, the U-Hauls and what have ya. Because there's not a professional driver behind the wheel. It's big, but anybody on earth can rent one.

I lived through it and got a lot of life experiences and actual gains out of it, but that was a horrendous risk I couldn't calculate or realize at the time.

All that to say that the micro Bug in the photos looks more dangerous than a bicycle. Yeah, that's an obvious way to get killed in the spaghetti loops in Atlanta. Big truck - bump - What was that noise? Dunno, but now I hear a dragging sound....
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

that thing have to be so light for that mpg.. that an 18 wheeller going by will suck it into of under the trailer and under the wheels..
      and the truck driver will think it was nothing more than a pot hole

Comment

It's true, this vehicle can be considered nothing more than a covered bicycle/scooter, which has its pros and cons. You don't have to pedal it, and you can stay dry in the rain, but it also is much wider and thus might be harder to maneuver out of the way of some imminent danger.

Peewee, I rode a bike in a major city's downtown region for a couple seasons (not winter) and it really did scare the living daylights out of me, sharing the road with vehicles. You take up a lane and are no match in speed or mass for the other occupants. Not something I'd like to repeat, even in this VW scooter.
        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Riding the bicycle didn't scare me then, obviously, or I wouldn't have done it.

But it sure does scare me now, thinking back.

Amazing what perspective age provides. Glad I was young then.

Comment

I feel safe on a bike.. as long as I get to break the law and ride on the side with cars coming at me..
            the law says I need to go with traffic. with the faster cars coming up behind me..
            sorry not with the phone talking and text'n masses..
            i'll break the law and have the cars coming at me.. much safer.. as I can see it coming and get the hell out of the way...
            unlike when they are coming from behind and you'd have to be looking in the mirror(if you have one) all the time to see it coming and get out of the way..
            I've been pulled over on my mountain bike.. and after stating this to the cop.. he said.. i had a point. but was still breaking the law.. but no ticket ;D

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
              Originally posted by antmnte
              Originally posted by dieselgeek
              Originally posted by antmnte
              Just where I would want to be sitting on cold winter evening driving up the New England thruway
              with a Peterbuilt riding up my ass. Smart car is bad enough this is death on wheels.
              Wow. you must really thinkg peopel who ride motorcycles are total idiots then?

1 cylinder diesel - I'd TOTALLY rock that to work every day. Where do I sign up?
              Why would I say that ? I didnt even infer that, and you know people are gonna use that turd to drive to work like a car.
              You ever drive in NY rush hour traffic on a winter night ? On the thruway? You will die in that thing.
              x2
              even boston traffic..
              that is ask'n to die....
              guess country boy in the boonies. doesn't understand how 18wheelers run on the east coast..

actually, I drove the Orange Crush to work for 2 years, got a little news for you east coast boys - there does not exist traffic as bad as the I-405 anywhere along your entire coast... so yeah, "country boy" knows a little about traffic.

I fail to see how this is any different than a smart car, or a motorcycle. Only difference being, someone might drive it in the winter versus the motorcycle. That makes it different than the Geo Metro, or smart cars, how???

I'd reserve judgment on it's safety record before I *GUARANTEED WITHOUT A DOUBT* that it's an instant death trap. The cars that most people drive on this forum daily, are statistically very unsafe... so, show me the numbers before I write it off.

I'd still drive it to work. Especially if they work a deal so it can be driven in the HOV lanes...
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                that thing have to be so light for that mpg.. that an 18 wheeller going by will suck it into of under the trailer and under the wheels..
                and the truck driver will think it was nothing more than a pot hole
                um, almost as light as a motorcycle? just say "I don't like the idea of it" instead of all the nonsense, we'll be OK with that
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

all the cars you list are taller than the floor of most trailers..
                  and bikes are in the center of the lane..
                  not many hug the line as a rig is going by...

Comment

Hey Peewee, is this an early April Fools joke? $600

Pricing is expected to fall somewhere between ?20,000 and ?30,000 ($31,400 to $47,100). Assembly is tipped to take place in VW's prototype shop, which can produce 1,000 cars per year at full tilt, reports CAR.

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                    1966 Plymouth Fury III
                    2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                    Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                    Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 66Fury3
                      Hey Peewee, is this an early April Fools joke? $600

Pricing is expected to fall somewhere between ?20,000 and ?30,000 ($31,400 to $47,100). Assembly is tipped to take place in VW's prototype shop, which can produce 1,000 cars per year at full tilt, reports CAR.
                      the fuel tank is 600

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

The cars that most people drive on this forum daily, are statistically very unsafe....
                        The older stuff I have? Don't know on the crash-worthiness. But my 1979 F150 4x4 has 3 tons of rusted steel. My Torino, 2 tons of primered steel.
                        I've seen crash footage on both vehicles, and I call luck of the draw in ANY wreck.

My thoughts...you by a vehicle like this...you are full-well in the know, you vs. Semi = closed casket service.
                        Even taking a hit with a full size truck would probably kill a person.

Now, with that said, thinking of how China {if that is the market it's destined for} motorvates, lots of people on bikes still...would be a step up.
                        Anyways...I would still probably take a shot...for fun if nothing else. Then I could scoot up the bike paths around here with a direct shot to work and avoid the hassles of a "normal" drive for the most part... :
                        Andrew
                        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
                          Originally posted by chevy3100
                          1 cyl diesel commuter? yawn... (just not my cup of tea, in all honesty I'd rather drive a big ol truck with tons of personality, but gets 8mpg...)

The thing that gets me is that it is tagged at $600 US.... If that's true then everyone else in the world is getting bent over and f^#($d cause there is no way the materials would cost less than $600 anywhere else...
                          Yeah, that part got me, too. Being as ignorant as I am about technical things, I'dda thought a carbon fiber ink pen would cost $600 to build, let alone a car with an engine.

I posted it, but I really think it's a hoax. I sure don't know. Got no idea.

Comment

it be good for a renter... I mean on Hawaii.. the speed on most roads is 30 or under..
                            and 55-60 tops, and the have speed traps everywhere..
                            so I can see this working there..
                            or maybe in the south..
                            but in snow and ice .. no way in hell i'd be in something that small.. unless it's a snowmobile

Comment

Where/what is the I 405 ? What is that the Cross Bronx expressway of the west? I bet it doesn't even have ruts. ;D
                              in the pavement -beat that, and no 4 lanes of traffic moving along leisurly in nice weather is not enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X