No announcement yet.

Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brainstorming: BS Rally car for '11?

Originally posted by Bamfster
    I was gonna say the Diplomat until I saw the cubic inch limit, but then again, what does a 225/6 come in at liter wise?
    Its half of a 450,thats 7,5 liter..3,7...yupp..

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
      I was gonna say the Diplomat until I saw the cubic inch limit, but then again, what does a 225/6 come in at liter wise?
      Its half of a 450,thats 7,5 liter..3,7...yupp..
      Heck, de-stroke it and there ya go ... it's even set up for a manual trans too.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Arent there other classes?..or do he have to compete against the 4wd drive cars then?

Comment

Group 2 is a RWD class and competes in-class. Let's not talk about the Diplomat, shall we? Still a very sore subject around here.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

MR2?

Rear drive, being rear/mid engined they have a nice balance. Not sure about the transverse transaxle setup, but there is a decent following and after market for them .... plus they seem to be dirt cheap around here.
            Did you know that the 1mz-FE 3.0 v-6(think Camry v6) is nearly a bolt-in
            into one of these. There are a few companies making swap kits for this,
            that would be a wicked little car.

Comment

Is that the same Camry V6 that's in the Lotus Evora?

Found this one near me for $900..

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
                Is that the same Camry V6 that's in the Lotus Evora?

That's a 3.5l V6, related, but not the same.

Comment

How about a nova or vega?

Comment

I could see a Vega, not a Nova. I'm still working on that wheelbase thing...longest car I saw an any of the Rally America events was a '91 Subaru Legacy wagon.

Comment

Here is something for EagleKammy to chew on....How about a Pacer or Kammback?....just ideas

Comment

try a 300zx or supra...

Comment

Then, the problem with the older cars surfaces: Cost of parts. The Jeep 4.0 would be a great swap-in, but most of them will have to be converted to a manual trans and for argument's sake, let's say I drift wide and slam the back corner into something a little more solid...like an ice-cream cone. Now I've got to find replacement taillights, replacement glass, etc. The car has to remain street-legal.

Supra or 300ZX. Wouldn't mind '86-'91 Supra at all, actually, and the earlier versions are pretty cheap, too. Have very little experience with the Nissan...

Comment

i have non with the 300zx but I did have an 89 supra turbo that I took down some snowy dirt roads in excess of 100 MPH.. up into 5th gear. They have 4.30 gears from the factory too, tough as nails, can't break them (the only weak link i found was how the shifter works inside the transmission, a slide rod with only a 10mm head bolt that will shear off, should be fixed before any serious competition..).... or a shifter with adjustable stops needs to be used

I did also find that while the car was very stable and handled excellent it was VERY heavy, and I had a hard time getting the rear end to rotate at times, even with the e-brake... I did go off road once, luckily no real damage was done... this was not at any sanctioned event, I just grew up watching a LOT of Dukes of Hazzard and live in the country with a lot of gravel roads up and down hills... I have outran the cops more times than I can count (but that's all behind me now, I FINALLY realized that it was just a TV show, lol )

Comment

I'm loving the idea of the MR2 or Fiero, but there goes the problem of replacement parts again. Do you have to fix a dented fender? Could you just go total dirtball and put some see through red plastic or tape over the taillight and run it anyway? I know it has to be street legal, but that varies from state to state. Take the car with the flashlight headlights from the 'Caption This' thread a little while ago, that was street legal in Tennessee...
                              A fox Mustang 4 cylinder notchback would be dirt cheap, easy to find parts for, and upgradeable to the 5.0 with minimal hassle. Might be a little more in initial layout, but save you time and hassle in the long run...
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

need IRS on the dirt IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X