Need PC help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need PC help

My desktop will not boot....The Operating system crashed....

I would like to get all the info/files/ pics off of the hard drive to put on the new PC......can anyone help?

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Re: Need PC help

if you have external closure, put the old drive n it, assuming drive still works...plug it into your new pc.

or you could take stuff apart and put the drive in as a slave on your new pc...
    if the hdd is working.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
      My desktop will not boot....The Operating system crashed....

I would like to get all the info/files/ pics off of the hard drive to put on the new PC......can anyone help?

Seth
      install the old drive in the new pc and set it up as a "slave" and it'll alow you to use it as axtra storage..
      the drive will have a jumper to change it from master to slave
      set it to slave and plug it into the ribbon cable that the other hard disc is on.. or ribbon cable to motherboard, but make sure the drive is jumpered as slave or the pc will try to boot from both and ask you what one you want to boot from everytime you start the pc.

Comment

what error are you getting on boot up? non system disk, or will it start booting and just stop. If you still have my number give me a call tomorrow I can walk you through some tricks depending on the error.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Neil....you have a pm.
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

See my PC thread - you'll see how much I don't know about this stuff. Neal's a pretty sharp hombre, though.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
              install the old drive in the new pc and set it up as a "slave" and it'll alow you to use it as axtra storage..
              set it to slave and plug it into the ribbon cable that the other hard disc is on.. or ribbon cable to motherboard, but make sure the drive is jumpered as slave or the pc will try to boot from both and ask you what one you want to boot from everytime you start the pc.
              uh...modern PCs use SATA drives, different cable thing than the old IDE setup you're talking about.

But that's what I'd do is to put the old drive into the new computer and copy the files. Hopefully the drive still works, it's pretty common for them to die completely
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                Originally posted by Tazracing
                uh...modern PCs use SATA drives, different cable thing than the old IDE setup you're talking about.

But that's what I'd do is to put the old drive into the new computer and copy the files. Hopefully the drive still works, it's pretty common for them to die completely
                I have no idea how old his stuff is..
                my last two dells had the same drives sata..
                the older one is 5y/o

Comment

Seth's boot.ini is hosed. he didnt have a XP boot disk to fix it. Talked him through removing the Harddrive so he can take it to best buy to get the pics etc off of. then he will use the built in restore on the disk to re install XP. If we both had more time we could fix the boot ini over the phone.
                  Neal

Comment

Generally on the newer computers you just plug in the drives, and then if it tries to boot off the wrong one, go into the bios setup and change the boot order.

But for sure he won't need to bother to set the drive/slave/cs jumper on the old drive if it's IDE and he's putting it in a modern computer.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Part of the problem he didnt have another desktop to access easy to slave it to.
                      Neal

Comment

Working...
                      X