Any runners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any runners here?

I am looking out into next year, and I think I want to run the Air Force Marathon Next September. I was just wondering if anyone on here aside from me does much running. The last three months have been the best as far as staying fit that I have ever had. I have lost 5-10 lbs, built up my endurance to where I can easily go ten miles, and I am in serious danger of maxing out my next PT test. But I really want to do more and go farther, and the AF marathon seems like a good goal. It gives me plenty of time to train, plus training will keep me in form over the summer so I can come back to school next year and still be in form.

Re: Any runners here?

I had to quit running due to nerve damage in my back, but I did it for almost nine years, would average about 25mi/wk, with a 2-mi. average time of 15:50. If you can do it, it's the best overall workout by far by itself. Don't forget to change it up a little though...sprints, agility, increased resistance (re: big ass hills). The one thing I learned about running is once you get into great shape don't quit or it'll screw you up for a long time.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I'm starting to train for the AF marathon after watching my sister run a full marathon 2.5months after being diagnosed with mono. I'll get her training plan and post it here. My training plan involves running ever increasing mileage at 7600ft. I was hugely disappointed with my PT test this year, worst time in 5yrs and I'm sure the altitude was not the only factor.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

One of my old high school buddies is still a huge runner. He ran cross country in HS. Gary ran the Boston Marathon a bunch of years in a row. He's 43, like me.

I could ask him for pointers if you want.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

a cross country man eh ?
          after my hs football career , I only keep it to running to the parts department

Comment

I ran Cross County in HS and I ran a bit up until my back decided to go all cattywampus on me...been diagnosed with degenerate disk disease. all the disks in my back and my joints are deteriorating...explains all the pain I was having when I would do PT...

Good luck on the training, I know some folks who are going to run in it.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
              I'm starting to train for the AF marathon after watching my sister run a full marathon 2.5months after being diagnosed with mono. I'll get her training plan and post it here. My training plan involves running ever increasing mileage at 7600ft. I was hugely disappointed with my PT test this year, worst time in 5yrs and I'm sure the altitude was not the only factor.
              You going for the 2011 event?

Comment

I have found out that diabetes and running don't mix for me. With the reduced blood flow to the feet, running makes them swell pretty bad...hence why I do the stationary bike portion for my semi-annual PT test.

Comment

oh yeah . google charcot foot

Comment

Run 2 - 4 miles every weekday morning. Do it for only two reasons... 1) keep my weight in check and, 2) so I can do stupid shit (eat & drink) and keep my weight in check. Seems to work for me.
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                      Yup, 17 Sept 2011. My sister wants to do it as a relay now so I might do the first bit and hand it off then keep going for time or I might chicken out and just do a half for my first plunge. Some of my bucket list items are to do the Pikes Peak Ascent before I PCS and to pass an Air Force Special Forces Quaification Test.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I ran up my credit cards.....I ran from the cops.....
                        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Yup, 17 Sept 2011. My sister wants to do it as a relay now so I might do the first bit and hand it off then keep going for time or I might chicken out and just do a half for my first plunge. Some of my bucket list items are to do the Pikes Peak Ascent before I PCS and to pass an Air Force Special Forces Quaification Test.
                          Well, maybe I will see you there. Look for the wiry kid with the military haircut and the USAF shirt. ;D

I ran a 14 mile stretch up here a few weeks back. Took me like 2:30 to do it, but I made it all the way. If I am going to try this, I am going to train for the whole 26.2 miles. Just out of curiosity, what do you do on you PT test? I ran an 11:08 1.5 (over a minute off my normal time, not sure what was going on), did 54 push ups and 51 situps. I max the waist tape easily. I think my composite score was 92.3 on our scale.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            oh yeah . google charcot foot
                            :o Dude, I REALLY didn't need to see that....but as that's a possibility for me (or any diabetic), thanks for sharing. I'd never heard of it before.

Comment

Well, maybe I will see you there. Look for the wiry kid with the military haircut and the USAF shirt. ;D

I ran a 14 mile stretch up here a few weeks back. Took me like 2:30 to do it, but I made it all the way. If I am going to try this, I am going to train for the whole 26.2 miles. Just out of curiosity, what do you do on you PT test? I ran an 11:08 1.5 (over a minute off my normal time, not sure what was going on), did 54 push ups and 51 situps. I max the waist tape easily. I think my composite score was 92.3 on our scale.
                              12:24 I think, which is over a minute off of my previous time of 11:11 which was after I had just recovered from Shingles. Pushups are not my thing but I did 57 and maxed the situps at 57 or close (I'm still under 30 so I'm in the same category as you) and waist. Just didn't run fast enough to get into the 90's. So I'm running more frequently and doing pushups in small sets through out the day. After I whip my time back down into the 10's again I'll start working on pull ups.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X