Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you are perfectionists when building a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you are perfectionists when building a car?

I call myself a 90% person. It's my opinion that the final 10% takes as long (or longer) than the 1st 90% of the build....and is the 1st to go away almost immediately after the car's put to use. Making it a waste of time for me.
    STUGOTS

Re: How many of you are perfectionists when building a car?

Perfection, I know it when I see it. I try, but never reach it.....seems always just outside my grasp.
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

I try but ? My 67 I am really trying it is hard because like the back of the cab is straight painted and rubed then the box goes on and never seen again lol I could have just painted it and been done lol

some projects I do to make safe and kool but they are far from perfect and the little things take forever after I start driving it . Hell the Interior took me a summer to finish for my 47 after it was on the road and my uncle did it and it just needed to be installed lol

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
        Perfection, I know it when I see it. I try, but never reach it.....seems always just outside my grasp.
        I've always have a vision in my mind when
        I build a car.

Ditto.....I know it when I see it....and Groucho
        is dead on.....that last 10% is the toughest part.

I've learned not to skimp on parts.......most times you
        end up going back and spending the coinage anyway.

I'm not one of those who takes 2-3 yrs to build a project...most
        of 'em are done within 6-9 months.

I break down my builds in three sections:
        Body (paint)
        Interior
        Drivetrain
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Depends on where that 10% is left however I agree with Groucho.
          Most restored cars are much better than they ever were when built from the factory. I know a guy with a Tucker, when they restored the car the door gaps and fitment are not perfect. He said this is the way they were built, if you see a tucker that looks too good its not restored properly.
          I enjoy driving cars and seeing them go down the road. Perfect rarely meets the open highway.
          Sometime along the way I learned that my idea of nice may not be the next guys opinion of nice. If a guy (or gal) builds a car and does the work they are proud of, no matter the outcome I respect their effort. Keep the hobby alive.
          200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
          Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

I am not a perfectionist. I just got through some ride of the month nomination (I am glad its over- my last boxered little jap car sits outside no showroom)

my dream respects the parts given, the machining really firing, and its real reactions.. the steel failing, the stronger fixxes madew by us humans at home..with thicker gauge, hand welded, and hammered... the compression crack between the valves...

sky goggle open pipes and smke coming from the lubed valve guides out the exhaust on 10+ 1 compresssion.

my dream is the last of reality. It was perfection. ;)
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Years ago I really got hung up on building
              'correct' muscle cars.
              Running down number matching parts etc.

Real pain in the ass.

That's what I like about the shoebox....street rods....
              built to one's own vision.

In the end.......I want to drive the crap out of it.

My engine guy, Jim Evans, who is a perfectionist.....tore
              down the 409 twice.....because it wasn't 'right'.... on his own dime.
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                Years ago I really got hung up on building
                'correct' muscle cars.
                Running down number matching parts etc.

Real pain in the ass.

Yeah, I did 1st gen Camaros a while back. When I'd put one up for sale, I'd get stupid questions on the phone like can you tell me the number on the distributor? Not, how's the body? Not what's the quality of the paint? Etc. But, the 1st question out of their mouth would be something stupid. I had a loaded 68 RS-SS 350HP/396...AC/tilt/tach-guages/deluxe interior/fold down rear seat/4-speed/speed warning....loaded. Dude's 1st question on the phone..."can you give me the number on the alternator? I said no and hung up
                STUGOTS

Comment

Certain systems have to be "perfect." But a whole car, no. My cars are drivers, I don't really worry about show car paint, I'd rather restore tired old paint to the best of my ability, cause I know its going to get beat on. Stereo, no, don't even have one in the DD. Tires, brakes, suspension, steering, best I can get and tune.

In the end, the car is perfect for me.

Comment

Well, I've never finished a perfect build because someone always comes along before I'm done and wants it more than I do. I had fun while I owned the car and enjoyed working toward's my vision of perfection. Maybe someday I'll be able to get one done just the way I want it.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Perfectionist? No. But I do like to do things well enough I do not need to do them again in the future. I do not like to do things twice.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I do things well enough, I don't have the patience to do things perfect...BUT, outside of the car world...I am...at work when I put together a turbine, or install a gear box, install a prop...there is no such thing as "good enough" ..perfecction is the ony option
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I get hung up on little detail items. Stuff that will never be seen again once the car is reassembled.
                          Usually after wasting a bunch of time on some little part it I'll come to my senses and just finish it
                          with something that works just as well but might not be perfect. Stuff like replacing original rivets
                          with little screws. My car is not a perfect restoration so it doesn't matter. Too many years as a machinist
                          I guess.

Comment

That is my major down fall, sometimes I just need to say look good is good, instead of saying it isn't and keep on fiddling with it. I think this is the reason body work takes me so long, I'm just never happy.......

Comment

I try to get whatever I'm working on just perfect, but like groucho, the last 10% is tough to achieve and may not be worth it in the long run. Besides, perfection can be cold and impersonal while a few little flaws can give it that personal touch and make the car your own.

Comment

Working...
                              X