Stormy Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormy Monday

The last weekend or two ago, I got to playing with wires and sound equipment and stuff and came upon the profound revelation that I have the stuff, if I wire it together right, I can convert a cassette to a digital file on the computer. Yep, the end result, an mp3.

So, I let my used-to-be playing partner in South Carolina know about it and he shipped me the entire box of cassettes we recorded from our musical playing-out career. It's a short collection, we played out I think 4 times over a period of a few months. Chuck is a good rhythm guitar player, banging on a Taylor acoustic...big bucks and quality there. A fine instrument.

Anyhow, for our purposes here on Bangshift, I know I cause more oddity and at times trouble since I'm not even a car guy. Often I wonder why I'm here. I can tell you - it's because every one of you are fascinating people on the computer screen I'd love to meet in person. And I've met a few of ya, much to my delight. I hope I made as good of an impression uopn y'all as y'all did upon me, in person.

So, I think it was HEMI who noted I should post some more music. HEMI got me here to start with, by accident. The good thing about this is you sure don't have to click on the link if you don't need to hear about 10 minutes of attempted music by me and my buddy Chuck in Lancaster SC on December 5, 2005.

It was at a little restaurant/bar in Lancaster. Nobody was there except for friends and family who turned out. It was among the first times Chuck had ever played out in his life. That whole evening - at the end of it Chuck was amazed. He said, "They FEED us supper. They GIVE us beer. They LET us play. And at the end they HAND us money" (not very much, mind you). Chuck said, "Is this a great country, or WHAT???"

As for the recording, by this point in the evening I'd beat and stretched the Dobro's strings to death. The little E-string was BAD flat, out of tune. I can hear it, it stands out. It's awful. But maybe the casual listener won't care. It's me on Dobro and vocal, Chuck on rhythm.

When you watch the sure-enough hot rod guitarists in concert or on TV, they grab the tuning knob in the middle of a song and twist it back and forth, like they can tune the guitar on the run. Maybe that's "so," but for me I'm not sure how much of that is actually for show, literally showing off. I sure can't do it. Nor did I even have the gumption to tune the guitar between songs, which I could have easily done.

I apologize for the 16 seconds of silence from when the "song" starts to when the "music" starts. The recording deck is kicking my ass. Didn't know what to do with the early silence because I really don't know how to operate the thing, even after all of this time.

HEMI, this one's for you. You said more music posted here, so here's way too much. Way too much.

peedub

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Stormy Monday

Peewee - when you're right you're right but when you're , wrong, you're wrong. In this case, you're wrong. That was some mighty enjoyable pickin' and singin' Even if the E was a bit out (the audience will never know). You're a LOT better than you give yourself credit for. As a really crappy wannabe musician I know about this stuff. Stop beating on yourself and make some music. And post it here for those who can't get to see it in person.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
      Peewee - when you're right you're right but when you're , wrong, you're wrong. In this case, you're wrong. That was some mighty enjoyable pickin' and singin' Even if the E was a bit out (the audience will never know). You're a LOT better than you give yourself credit for. As a really crappy wannabe musician I know about this stuff. Stop beating on yourself and make some music. And post it here for those who can't get to see it in person.

Dan
      Thanks so much Dan. It sure would be fun to do that some more. Those were some mighty fun evenings. The most fun I've had, I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes

Dan
        Dan, thanks again and always for the undeserved praise.

And as far as seeing it "In Person," nobody can, not right now at least. It was a brief moment. I sure would do it again in a heartbeat given a chance and somebody like Chuck to play along with. I'm not a solo player, but just give me a rhythm guitar, and especially as good of a friend as Chuck to start with, yeah, I can ... well, it's a joy. Again, the most fun I've had on this earth to date. Well, the most genuine internal pleasure, if only for a few hours at a time quite a few years ago. That's the benchmark for pleasure.

Dan, you asked for it, so here's another one. It takes close to an hour to convert a cassette tape song over to digital, there are so many procedural steps to do it with the wires and knobs and the back-and-forth. Especially songs as long as these are. And Chuck sent me 7 cassette tapes full of them. Lots of the same songs over and over again (different nights' performances).

I'm not going to, and don't feel good about, flooding Bangshift with peewee tunes. In fact I think this post here is one too many on the subject.

Dan and others, it you happen to actually like this stuff, I'll be building the collection on a Weeville page :

It'll take a while. I'm thinking weeks or a month or more. Anyhow, sorry to bump this thread again - blame Dan for being so enthusiastic about it...no, it's all my fault. I'm an idiot who used to make noise with strings. It sure is fun to do.

Here's the one I took the time to add to the collection tonight:

Comment

Working...
        X