Cool or Creepy!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool or Creepy!?!

Bump.com uses license plate reading technology via existing security cameras whether it’s cameras at a public parking lot or a fast food partner. Users can “claim their plate” and use it to get messages from others. Creepy or cool? Artie Ojeda reports.

synopsis if you don't want to watch the news story:
    A Company has put all License plates into a database, you can claim yours and recieve text messages...from anyone, people woh think you are a jerk, people who think you are cute, cameras in store parking lots can see your plate and text you coupons...

I vote Creepy!

~Gail
    Last edited by LORENSWIFE; May 13, 2011, 10:19 AM.
    That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Boy the stalkers could have fun with that ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

bet it help find a stollen car/truck/ hot rod if you posted it stollen look for this plate, and if seen take the phone and call 911

Comment

Definitely creepy. That's going a little to far for comfort.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

If they want to find me, they can read the BangShift.com sticker and come here
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yeah.......way over the top.
            At some point I start to reject technology
            TMI

and BTW........curious how the states
            make public license plate info available for profit
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I want no part of that.
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                Yeah.......way over the top.
                At some point I start to reject technology
                TMI

and BTW........curious how the states
                make public license plate info available for profit
                they didn't , every state has a program to tell you if a plate is taken or not..
                reverse engineer that you get a list of plates used, YOU have to go to the site and CLAIM your plate..
                everything that site has for info is public info..

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                  I want no part of that.
                  if your car was stollen and you could whip out your phone and post your plate, car info and it's been stollen and got real time reports of where it is..
                  I'd want part of that, as this is one gps system the thief can't disable..

Comment

Originally posted by Stich496 View Post
                    if your car was stollen and you could whip out your phone and post your plate, car info and it's been stollen and got real time reports of where it is..
                    I'd want part of that, as this is one gps system the thief can't disable..
                    Sure they can. Just put a different license plate on it.
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
                      Sure they can. Just put a different license plate on it.
                      ya, they are all just carry'n an extra plate..

Comment

I'll go creepy, without any real concern about it. I flipped out for a minute some years ago when I found out you can do a search on a phone number, and it'll draw a map to your house. That pretty well broke things wide open. It's all one in the same, no privacy.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Won't be succesful. Only stupid people would throw away another part of their privacy like that, just like the ones that also put their entire lifestories on FB for instance.
                          And look how unpopular that is.... Oh wait...
                          www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

That's a good point. People at large don't have much sense about it. Like posting on FB, "We're going on vacation!"

Okay, so the bad guys see that and loot their house while they're gone. It's too easy. Like baiting fish in a barrel.
                            Last edited by pdub; May 14, 2011, 02:15 AM.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I don't see the big deal. This isn't set up so that anyone can look you up via plate. The company (Bump) acts as a proxy. You text them with a plate number, then the owner, if they've signed up receives a text. It strikes me as a big so what.

Comment

Working...
                              X