Passed over again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed over again

Well another year shot to hell...I studied my ass off and missed promotion this year by......2 damn points...

I needed and wanted this promotion this year in a bad way.

I wouldn't be so pissed if I didn't work hard for this, if didn't put effort into it...but when you bust your balls and are passed over by 2 damn points...it hurts...

oh well...I got a job, my kids are healthy and life is okay otherwise...got to look at the bright side. There is always next year.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Like you say there is next year.Figure out the 2 points that caused it and kick ass!

Comment

can you appeal? most times if you miss it by "this" much, you might be able to get a kindly soul to recalculate....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

they don't normally recalculate, there were 20 people that missed it by less....it seems the #1 non select missed it by .02 points. They have it down to a science and pretty efficient at grading and adding up the points...

funny thing is that last year I did not study a certain portion of the test, and scored an above average 60%, this year I studied that crap like a mad man...and my score went down...got a 48%...and was still above the average...grrrrrr.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

don't get the stapler now?

Comment

They're pretty brutal in grading I see. That is very frustrating to say the least. I can imagine the guy who missed by .02 points is not too happy either. I remember my brother saying they use to party the night before tests when he was in the Navy in the mid 60's. Best of luck next year.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; May 19, 2011, 08:07 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Joe if you were a rental you would be a Senior by now. The most I ever missed it by was .8, but I got screwed by the 92 draw down and being out for 7 years meant I lost all my TIG and TIS didnt mean much for anything but pay. So I was testing like a SRA with 1 year TIG/TIS. I had to seriously know my shit to get that close, and yeah I did know it. I usually did really well on PFE, SKT I was always above average though too usually in the mid to high 80s. It sucks when you know the job, all the BS, and you miss it by next to nothing. I dont know how much I missed Tech by, because they had the med board and put me out a couple weeks before the results came out. I bet it was less than a point again.

USAF promotion testing is some hardcore stuff, particularly when you are going for E7 Master Sargent and above. You are up against everyone in your pay grade across the entire USAF, not just your career field. You test on two different subjects, your job knowledge, SKT, and Air Force knowledge such as history, regulations, and basic to leadership knowledge, that is called PFE. You could say it is incredibly competitive, and there are no do overs until next year. The only way ass kissing makes a difference is decorations and performance reports, in the end you still need to know the job and the AF stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                don't get the stapler now?
                LOVE THAT MOVIE!

Better luck next year!
                ~Gail
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

2 points blows. I don't know how it compares to the old Army system (they put the new one in place shortly after I left) but 2 points isn't much and .02 is literally if they like your haircut style or not. That sucks, man.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I was in the Navy and it took me a couple tries to make it to e-5; 2nd miss-drinking all night in Singapore got me within 4 pts I think. I've always heard that advancement in the Air Force is extremely difficult and you almost have to wait for someone to retire, punch out, or die to make grade...

Keep your head up and keep trying
                    Last edited by Dignlif; May 20, 2011, 12:39 PM.
                    Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

army got a new promotion system starting in june or july. Alot of people are losing alot of points just from the army ed and civ ed changes. My MOS has been maxed out for the last year, and they're gonna combine a few of our similar MOS's, so I'm probably gonna reclass

Comment

Joe, I literally said "AWWW.... ^%$#@!" when I saw the thread title, and that it was yours. M'r F'r. I didn't even hafta open it to know what happened.

I have seen lotsa guys who came really close, and some guys who just kept punching the clock until it came to be their time. And some who changed their study styles (check out some books on memory techniques to help with the trivial crap) and then killed it the next time around.

Joe, you are good people, and you'll get there.

Now, go share a beer with those who did make it. (the ones you like anyway!)
                        Last edited by Caveman Tony; May 20, 2011, 03:36 PM.
                        Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

retire ...go work for eastern airlines ....whoops

Comment

thought you were looking at retire'n soon.. if they know this, could that be holding you back too.
                            pensions are under fire, all around,

Comment

Sorry to hear that Joe..... but you really got it right.... "oh well...I got a job, my kids are healthy and life is okay" Well said!

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                              1966 Plymouth Fury III
                              2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                              Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                              Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X